Alternative 8 or Blackouts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative 8 or Blackouts??

I have a 2011 LP studio and I'm getting bored with the 59/Custom hybrid I have in in it now. I've adjusted the height closer to the strings and it's helped a little bit, but still not quite what I want. I said years ago that I wouldn't do active pickups again, but I'm intrigued by the various Blackouts models.

What I'm looking for is something that works well with lower tunings, heavy gauge strings and moderate to high gain situations. I've had the 498t, Duncan Distortion, EMG 81 and 59/Custom hybrid in the guitar and want to try something else. I like a thick, chewy, soupy sound and feel. But nothing too exaggerated. I run an HM-2 pedal in front of my 6550's "clean" channel but the gain on the pedal and amp are low, so it's high gain but not necessarily by modern scooped metal standards. So, I've been thinking about either the Alternative 8 to retain an organic feel with the Les Paul, but the Blackouts have piqued my interest. I'm maybe hesitant to go active again, but the Blackouts seem less sterile and more organic than the good old EMG 81. I used to go back to the 81 time and time again, but I vowed to not do that anymore because I get really bored with it after a year or so and the cycle starts all over again!

Any suggestions are appreciated. I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube and clips on soundcloud, but nobody has much on the Alternative 8 that I've found that really seals the deal for me.

Re: Alternative 8 or Blackouts??

Are you doing the Entombed/Dismember thing? I'd really stick with EMG's if you are. Maybe try an 85, more lows and highs, not so narrow banded like the 81, but that actually helps with the HM-2 set to chainsaw.

I've only tried the original blackouts, and they sound really good, but they're really sensitive and hot. I just think EMG's work better in that instance.

As for the Alt 8, I've still not used one proper, but I've messed around a lot of A8 pickups, they do work better for that sound than most.
    Last edited by King IzzO))); 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

No, not going with a straight Swedish guitar tone. I'm very familiar with how to do that and also very familiar with the 81. I want something new and refreshing. The sterile sound of the 81 gets old to me really fast, which is odd because in the 90's I loved it and thought I'd never want anything else. And for the past 6-7 years now I've gone back to it a few times and liked it at first, but got super bored with it after a few months.

Comment

Lot of people say the Alt 8 reminds them of an emg 81 but less compressed sounding. Take that how you will. Have you given the Invader a shot? You might also like Dimarzio's Gravity storm.

Comment

Alt 8 - all the way! Very thick and chewy
          The Invader just doesn't impress me much; I knew that it wouldn't be good for clean tones, but I thought it would be pretty cool for heavy stuff, but I thought it was kinda weak and shrill sounding - plus it is the ugliest Duncan pickup available and you can't really do much about that. Plus, if you've already tried and passed the duncan distortion - the only duncan that has higher output is the alt 8. I don't really care for active pickups, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Comment

Alt 8 is a very unique sounding PU. I unfortuantely have not spent much time with one. But the one i played was in an LP and it sounded huge
            -IM

Comment

alt 8 is a good suggestion. I havent played one but do have experience with the a8 mag and i use it for metal in a custom. If you want to stay organic sounding that may be your best bet. Blackouts would probably work too. They sound better than EMGs to my ear. Theve got more character and sound more "organic" than the emgs if thats what you are going for. And they sound badass for playing downtuned metal.

I havent played the alt 8 but i really want to. A lot of guys talk about how beefy they sound but the strange thing is I have never heard one metal demo of that pickup that sounded good. They all sound thin and weak compared to say, distortion, custom or blackouts.

Dont rule out the custom either. Thats got a huge punch in the lows but still stays clear in drop tunings. The custom with Big ceramic mag from the distortion is killer for metal! Big and mean but warmer and fatter than the stock smaller ceramic mag. It still stays tight and clear

Comment

AHB-3?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamwarrior View Post
                  What I'm looking for is something that works well with lower tunings, heavy gauge strings and moderate to high gain situations.
                  Never tried active pickups but I had Alt-8 in my LP. I played drop A tuning with baritone strings and it was awesome, thick and fluid - it feels that the notes want to linger. Its crispiness helps for that low tuning so it still sounds articulate, clear and defined (I imagine it would pair well with FS in the neck. I used Screamin' Demon btw). Alt8 is my fave SD bridge pickup besides Custom (I won't use Custom for B or drop A though, too much low. Drop C is max for me with that pickup). Custom is better for chugga chugga/groovy/staccato thingy but if you're looking for thick wall of sound Alt-8 is hard to beat.

Comment

I've played the EMG 81, Blackouts AHB-1, Blackouts AHB-3, and the Alternative 8. I like them in just about that order, too. But for your purposes, I would say it's going to be between the AHB-1 blackout and the Alt. 8. I would definitely choose the Alternative 8, personally. It will slay in that guitar, I imagine.
                    Last edited by youngthrasher9; 11-27-2013, 01:35 AM.
                    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                    Originally posted by CTN
                    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Definitely leaning toward the Alternative 8. What worries me about the blackouts is that the active preamp by nature kinda neuters what tonal/sound qualities the Les Paul brings to the table.

If I had the time and money, I'd get both and do a comparison clip of me playing some really dumb riffs and leads.

Comment

Definitely leaning toward the Alternative 8. What worries me about the blackouts is that the active preamp by nature kinda neuters what tonal/sound qualities the Les Paul brings to the table.
                        i would put a passive pickup in a les paul before actives any day. sounds like the alt 8 will work good for you. try it out and let us know what you think

Comment

When most guys want to go Duncan for metal in an LP I suggest the Distortion, another pickup that works very well in a LP than no one has suggested yet is the X2N.....

You could always just go with a nice moderate output pup and a preamp too,

Comment

Like I mentioned, I had a Distortion in the guitar before. It's close, but not quite there. I think I prefer an alnico magnet. The 498t wasn't bad, but was a bit dry. Years ago, I had an X2N in a BC Rich Mockingbird with a mahogany body and ebony fretboard and didn't like it much at all. Definitely don't need any kind of preamp.

Looking for thick and soupy, with a hint of clarity and just overall gnarly. Gonna try to snag an Alternative 8 this weekend.

Comment

I have a 2011 LP studio and I'm getting bored with the 59/Custom hybrid I have in in it now. I've adjusted the height closer to the strings and it's helped a little bit, but still not quite what I want. I said years ago that I wouldn't do active pickups again, but I'm intrigued by the various Blackouts models.

What I'm looking for is something that works well with lower tunings, heavy gauge strings and moderate to high gain situations. I've had the 498t, Duncan Distortion, EMG 81 and 59/Custom hybrid in the guitar and want to try something else. I like a thick, chewy, soupy sound and feel. But nothing too exaggerated. I run an HM-2 pedal in front of my 6550's "clean" channel but the gain on the pedal and amp are low, so it's high gain but not necessarily by modern scooped metal standards. So, I've been thinking about either the Alternative 8 to retain an organic feel with the Les Paul, but the Blackouts have piqued my interest. I'm maybe hesitant to go active again, but the Blackouts seem less sterile and more organic than the good old EMG 81. I used to go back to the 81 time and time again, but I vowed to not do that anymore because I get really bored with it after a year or so and the cycle starts all over again!

Any suggestions are appreciated. I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube and clips on soundcloud, but nobody has much on the Alternative 8 that I've found that really seals the deal for me.
                              I am 'kinda' in the same boat as you.
                              I said, i would NEVER put an active in any of my guitars. EVER !
                              That was in a time when EMG's had the entire market to them selves.
                              Along came the BlackOuts and my opinion about actives started to change.
                              My cousin has a 'standard' set in his Ibby RG, and i was so impressed with the set, that i too want a set (and it gives me an excuse to buy a donor body, maybe a Squire John 5 Tele, or Sterling Axis) now.
                              It will not become my go-to guitar, but i know i can enjoy playing around with one ever so often.
                              And the BlackOuts sounds good with both my 5150 & Bassman.
                              Have not yet tried it in the Thunderverb.
                              So, playing in C std, with 12-52's, the BlackOuts gets my vote.
                              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                              X