Neck Single with JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Single with JB

What neck single coil balances well with a JB in the bridge? I use the neck pup a lot for soloing and want something that sounds like a single coil but bucks the hum and can take some OD. Thanks!

Re: Neck Single with JB

DiM Chopper or Cool Rails?
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

STK-S4

Comment

Dimarzio SDS-1

Not humbucking, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
          Dimarzio SDS-1

Not humbucking, though.
          beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
            STK-S4
            I use that pickup in the neck of course with a full size JB in the bridge . Works great
            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post
              I use that pickup in the neck of course with a full size JB in the bridge . Works great
              damn straight.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I need something that bucks the hum so I may try the STK-S4

Comment

JB Jr or Little Screamin Demon.

Comment

Originally posted by JBViking View Post
                    What neck single coil balances well with a JB in the bridge? I use the neck pup a lot for soloing and want something that sounds like a single coil but bucks the hum and can take some OD. Thanks!
                    I had exactly the same questions when I was building my Star and was trying to think of what to put in the neck position.

Ended up with a bridge model hot rails, wired in always-parallel.

Sounds fantastic. It's warmer than your average single coil, but still has more single-coil-esque attack unlike most other neck humbuckers. In parallel the output level balances out perfectly with the JB and it really sizzles with OD or gain (in a very very good way - it's clear and soulful even though it doesn't have an alnico magnet). Turn the tone control down and it can cop full humbucker tones no prob. Add heaps of gain and yngwie-style leads are effortless.

The parallel wiring makes all the difference to the Hot Rails.

Comment

Classic Stack Plus +1! Also, Quarter Pound? JB Jr. Neck? I've had fun with all three of these.
                      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

ok, I may sound boring but the STK-S6 is a good option, does sounds like a single coil and can take all the OD/Dist you throw at it, and if you use auto split when combined with middle it gives a nice quack sound. The YJM Fury neck sounds fatter and I like it better for soloing in neck position -I am using a JB too- but it is not as nice for clean sounds if you compare it with the STK-S6. Some other options I am looking to try are STK-S4 and STK-S7, demos sound nice.
                        Last edited by IMENATOR; 12-04-2013, 11:23 AM.
                        Who took my guitar?

Comment

UPDATE:

I picked up an STK-S1 fairly cheap and threw that in the neck position. Works well. Very close to what I was going for. It's definitely in the ballpark but sounds a little bland. Not a lot of character. Just my opinion. Going to try something else.

Comment

Get a damn SDS-1 and thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                            X