Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 490R and 498T?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was doing some pickup swapping earlier and I did some measurement on some spare pickups I pulled out from my 1993 LP Studio. The neck pup measured 8.46K while the bridge pup measured 14.45K. Does this confirm I have the 490R and 498T?

I'm trying to choose between this neck pup and an older neck pup I pulled from my Orville LP. The latter has the Pat. No. 2, 737, 842 and reads 8.26K (maybe a T-Top?). I will use this neck pup to go with a Duncan Custom Custom for a project super strat.

For the meantime, the pickup swap was actually for my Nightswan. Can you guess the pickups - especially the bridge pup?

Re: Gibson 490R and 498T?

That sounds high; the ones I've seen the neck is 7.7-8.2, with the majority under 8k. The 498T bridges have been mid to high 13k. Measurement-wise, that's closer to the 496R/500T numbers, but you could have a higher set.

Comment

It's close to what mine have read. Remember readings vary with the temperature.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by lemonman View Post
        That sounds high; the ones I've seen the neck is 7.7-8.2, with the majority under 8k. The 498T bridges have been mid to high 13k. Measurement-wise, that's closer to the 496R/500T numbers, but you could have a higher set.
        You could check to differentiate between the 498T/490R and 500T/496R set by checking the bridge to see if the magnet is oversized. IIRC, 500Ts have BIG OL ceramic mags.

And your sweet new bridge pup looks like a Bill n Becky L500 of some kind, guessing XL. Great pups that do more than metal.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          It's close to what mine have read. Remember readings vary with the temperature.
          Very cool.
          You think a 490R would do well in an alder-bodied, whammy-equipped super strat?

Originally posted by lemonman View Post
          The ranges I got from googling do vary greatly. It's the reason I asked over here, maybe somebody got one and measured its values.

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
          And your sweet new bridge pup looks like a Bill n Becky L500 of some kind, guessing XL. Great pups that do more than metal.
          Bingo!
          Bill (RIP) and Becky L-500XL.

Comment

I agree that set sounds more like a 496R/500T set than the 490R/498T.

Sweet Nightswan there. Still on my "to get" list.

Comment

MY 2012 SET READ 7.80 AND 13.92 HOPE THIS HELPS

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I agree that set sounds more like a 496R/500T set than the 490R/498T.
                I can't remember Gibson putting that combo on their LP studios. I guess I'll double check on that. Maybe it's the cheapo multitester.

Sweet Nightswan there. Still on my "to get" list.
                It's probably my biggest find... I would never sell this guitar. \m/

Originally posted by Jimmi View Post
                MY 2012 SET READ 7.80 AND 13.92 HOPE THIS HELPS
                So 3 against 1 -- seems like my pups are hotter.

Comment

Working...
                X