banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which are the "hottest", "passive" humbucker p'ups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which are the "hottest", "passive" humbucker p'ups?

I have a semi hollow that I want to put passive humbuckers in but want the pups to be on the "hot" side. Not really looking for them to be distortion heavy or cheap in output rather more hot (in a ballsy, bright kinda way) in that I will have the ability to tweak tone within the guitar, amp and pedals.

Open to all suggestions but prefer to stay under the $250 range

Thanks in advance

JG3
    NJ Chapter President of G.A.S.....it's an addiction I will never seek a cure from!

Re: Which are the "hottest", "passive" humbucker p'ups?

the JB is the hottest HB i have and it's fantastic. for the neck position i'm not sure what to recommend since all my HBs are in the bridge slot.

Comment

Just curious as to why you want a hot PU in your semi hollow?

I also play a semi hollow, and they feedback very easily.

What kind of music are you playing and whats your rig?
      -IM

Comment

Maxon/Ibanez Super 70?

My maple fb Westminster LP Custom (70s mij, 1x Super 70) has more balls-to-the-walls anger than my ESP Eclipse (90s mij, EMG 81-85)

Both are bolt-on LP types, both strung up with identical DR DDT 11-54s, both set up for low action. Westminster weighs more, has a thicker neck (3pc mahogany w/ maple FB), and has an archtop cap (NOT maple tho). ESP is a solidbody, thinner lighter, 1pc maple neck w/ rosewood fb. Westminster has a Gotoh tunamatic, ESP has an OFR.

...I'd estimate the difference is 50% design, 50% pickups.

PS not rly a neck pup. Pulled the neck super 70 from mine because it had too much string pull and got a little TOO crazy in the neck position...Even ibanez wisened up to that and changed the layout to Super 70/Super 58 for the legendary Destroyer.
        Last edited by Adieu; 11-29-2013, 04:24 PM.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I usually play my Gibby ES335 but have a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe that is a really pretty guitar and gets lots of compliments but the electronics on her suck (in my opinion). She reminds me of some of the Epiphone guitars that are really pretty but the electronics on them are sub par.

The Hagstrom has gold humbuckers that I would best describe as lifeless and muddy. I thought hot pups would be a cool option but I am open to suggestions. My music is mostly alternative, progressive, classic, contemporary rock and I play rhythm guitar as I am lead vocals. The majority of my playing is strumming or flatpicking behind the lead guitar and as part of the rhythm section.

My rig is a Fender Twin reissue that I either mic up or add a cab to her at larger venues and I play thro0ugh several pedals depending on mood,room, song, etc.
          NJ Chapter President of G.A.S.....it's an addiction I will never seek a cure from!

Comment

Originally posted by JGarofalo3 View Post
            I have a semi hollow that I want to put passive humbuckers in but want the pups to be on the "hot" side. Not really looking for them to be distortion heavy or cheap in output rather more hot (in a ballsy, bright kinda way) in that I will have the ability to tweak tone within the guitar, amp and pedals.
            Well ballsy and bright would be distortion or custom. distortion much more so but dont understand what you mean by "not looking to be distortion heavy". Do you mean not like the duncan distortion? You will always be able to tweak the tone with the guitar, amp and pedals no matter what pickup you choose.. tell us a bit more of what you are looking for or what you dont like with your current setup. There are plenty of hot pickups out there with different tonal possibilities. Give us some info

Comment

thanks!

I mentioned above the rig and type of music played and that I am basically doing 70% strumming and all my playing is layering behind the lead guitar and also with bass and drums. My apologies for perhaps being able to explain or describe in standard terms. The current pickups are muddy and even with bright strings (slinky cobalts) they just deliver a lackluster tone and "oomph". I'd like pickups that are more sensitive or responsive to my playing and that can give me versatility in tone when tweaking with guitar knobs and or pedals. When I hear a pickup called "distortion" I suppose my narrowness of mind leads me to a place where I think it will deliver too much distortion (I am probably wrong). Most/all of my distortion comes from my OD/Distortion pedals I use. For reference, I use a Way Huge Green Rhino, a Barber Gain Changer and a Jetter Gold Standard

I hope that helps

Comment

Working...
              X