Custom 5 (SH-14) vs. PATB-1 for 7 String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 5 (SH-14) vs. PATB-1 for 7 String

I've been playing my Fernandes Revolver Pro 7 with a Custom 5 for a while. I love it for leads and it's not so bad for rhythm but for the longest time I've been in love with the way this guitar sounds thru a Seymour Duncan pickup booster with the knob all the way down and the resonance switch in #1 (2-3 kHz resonance freq drop). It's tighter and the lead it's more even without losing the highs, just making them sweeter and rounder. I was wondering just by looking at the tone chart specs and by some other threads one seen starting that it seems that the voicing of the PATB-1 has some Custom DNA in it, if it would give me what I'm looking for without having to carry the SD pickup booster everywhere when I'm using this guitar. I also would like some more mids without going up too much and the charts add one more level of mid to the voicing. Also, does the PATB-1 still has some "PAF" character to it? If it's what I expect, I'm ordering it from the custom shop in 7 string version as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ToneScavenger; 11-30-2013, 07:31 AM.
    Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
    Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Re: Custom 5 (SH-14) vs. PATB-1 for 7 String

I'd say the PATB-1 has more JB DNA in it than anything else. Technically just a little less output but a little more open and balanced

I've not paid that much attention to see if they offer a 7-string version, but if they do and it stays true to the voicing, it would be a nice fit for keeping the low B from flubbing out.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Custom 5 (SH-14) vs. PATB-1 for 7 String

Yeah, although the Custom 5 growls and rocks hard, it's high bass level makes it flub a little and I want it tighter.
      I know they don't make a PATB-1 for 7 string, but the custom shop does. There's a couple guys here that have 7 string PATB type pickups.
      Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
      Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

Working...
      X