banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PATB-1 bright, thin? What's wrong with this one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATB-1 bright, thin? What's wrong with this one?

I had a PATB-1 in one of my strats for years. I recently got another one to put into an ash body/maple neck strat. Though it's ash/maple, it's not necessarily a bright guitar overall. I had a JB in there and it wasn't doing it for me, so I dug in my drawer and found a brand new PATB-1 that was sitting in the box for about a year. I installed it and found it to be a bit bright and a little bit thin except for the low end. I went back to my alder strat that has a PATB-1 and it's warm and fat with just the right amount of presence. I checked my wiring, which is pretty simple because I'm using Duncan YJM's in the neck and middle, and there's nothing out of phase and everything is correct. So I pulled the PATB-1 from my alder strat and installed it, and of course it took on a bit of ash characteristics, but is fatter and warmer than the new PATB-1. I re-installed the new PATB-1 and it went back to being bright and thin.

Now when I say bright and thin, I don't mean as if it's out of phase or anything. It just doesn't have the warmth and roundness of my other PATB-1. It also FEELS flat. It doesn't have the same squash when I'm picking that my other PATB-1 has. It's just kind of plinky and flat in the way a real mid-scooped pickup feels. The difference between my old PATB-1 and new one is not a lot of difference, so don't think that it's exaggerated or anything. It's a small difference between pickups, but enough to notice. Like I said, it's not the wiring because I use the simplest form of wiring possible. I use a 3-way switch and don't do any kind of splitting, parallel or anything. I just switch between individual pickups and that's it. I'm using 500k pots in both guitars by the way.

I give this explanation because I don't want to get caught up with wiring issues, etc.., because I'm sure it's wired perfectly. What I'm talking about is a small but noticeable difference in the sound of the pickups. I've examined the pickups, peeled the ribbon to look at the coils, and checked everything out, and it's in perfect physical order.

My old PATB-1 is probably about 5 years old, and my new one is about 1 year new (never opened until the other day). I remember noticing something similar between two Custom Custom pickups that I had once. One was a little grainier and noisier, the other was smoother and sweeter. Given everything, this has led me to some questions:

Could there have been some change in the type or brand of wire, magnet, baseplate, etc..., that Seymour Duncan used in that time period, or some other material factor that could account for the difference in tone?

Could it be that the same model pickups can vary in tone slightly because it's not a perfect science?

Could there have been a tiny little imperfection during manufacturing that's not physically visible?

Unfortunately, since I bought the pickup a year ago, I can't exchange it. I didn't really want to go with a PATB-1 in this guitar anyway, but since I'm stuck with the pickup I have to either get it to sound exactly like the other one or sell it. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Re: PATB-1 bright, thin? What's wrong with this one?

Probably just variances between pups. Did you check the resistance of each pup? Your older PATB-1 could have slightly more winds (resistance) giving it more mids and output...warmer and fatter than your newer PATB-1.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      Probably just variances between pups. Did you check the resistance of each pup? Your older PATB-1 could have slightly more winds (resistance) giving it more mids and output...warmer and fatter than your newer PATB-1.
      Thanks, I'll check that.

Comment

I'm getting a DC Resistance of 15.2 on my old one and 14.8 on my new one. Is that a normal deviancy?

Comment

That's plenty normal. I have had the same model go from low 16k range up to the high 17k range.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

That difference is well within the normal variance.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You sure you didn't swap the mag in the one that you have been using and forgot that you did?
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                You sure you didn't swap the mag in the one that you have been using and forgot that you did?
                No. I would probably be absent-minded and arbitrary if I did that. I do things purposely and methodically even when I'm experimenting, and when I ever do stick with a magnet swap, I always mark the magnet and baseplate so I can keep track of things.

Comment

Check the reading on the pot?
                  "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

You sure it wasn't a PATB-3 you had for 5 years?
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Well, you've got a pickup in two different guitars. Stands to reason they might sound quite different. If you have doubts - install the 'good' patb1 in the guitar that sounds thin and see how that goes. Ash can sometimes have a very combed tone....as in it has some frequency dead spots. There is also a greater chance of getting bad lumber with ash than alder. Alder seems consistent tonally irrespective of weight/density....not so Ash

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        Well, you've got a pickup in two different guitars. Stands to reason they might sound quite different. If you have doubts - install the 'good' patb1 in the guitar that sounds thin and see how that goes. Ash can sometimes have a very combed tone....as in it has some frequency dead spots. There is also a greater chance of getting bad lumber with ash than alder. Alder seems consistent tonally irrespective of weight/density....not so Ash
                        He did say (in that wall of text) that he put the pickup from the alder (good) into the ash (thin) and it sounded better.

You may want to try the "new" pickup in the alder strat as well, just to cover all the bases.

For this type of thing, you may want to wire the PATB straight to the jack - no switch, no pots, just to see if the pickup is really the problem.

It may also be factory-miswired in parallel or phased with itself, so stick a meter on the leads.
                        Originally posted by Brown Note
                        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                        My Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X