banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alnico 2 Pro Slash pickups - did anyone try them and *NOT* like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alnico 2 Pro Slash pickups - did anyone try them and *NOT* like them?

Originally posted by tonaholic View Post
    They didn't do it for me. Had them in my LP for about a day. They were too smooth and not PAF enough for me. I think the midrange being too bubbly and the lack of sizzle and PAF style punch were what I missed. They're punchy but not in the way any of my other PAFs are.

Which Duncan nails that classic PAF tone ? (...to your ears !)
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
      Which Duncan nails that classic PAF tone ? (...to your ears !)
      Antiquities, Bonamassa's & 59's so far. I have Seth's and PG sitting in my room to throw in soon. I'm addicted. I LOVE the Dimarzio 36th as well and Burstbuckers do it really well too.

Comment

Antiquities, Bonamassa's & 59's so far. I have Seth's and PG sitting in my room to throw in soon. I'm addicted. I LOVE the Dimarzio 36th as well and Burstbuckers do it really well too.
        Thanks

. . . i have not heard a single negative comment about the Ants. I really need to try them soon !
        Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM. Reason: . . . bloody typos !
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Thanks

. . . i have not hears a single negative comment about the Ants. I really need to try them soon !
          Many talk about the undefined bass response. It's very vintage and doesn't hang with modern rock as well as non-aged buckers like the 59's and Dimarzio's and probably the PG/WLH sets.

Comment

Many talk about the undefined bass response. It's very vintage and doesn't hang with modern rock as well as non-aged buckers like the 59's and Dimarzio's and probably the PG/WLH sets.

. . . sounds like my kinda 'bucker !

Comment

. . . sounds like my kinda 'bucker !
              If you like those qualities, there's nothing better than the aged Duncan custom shop buckers: Ants and JBonamassa. Both great.

Comment

If you like those qualities, there's nothing better than the aged Duncan custom shop buckers: Ants and JBonamassa. Both great.
                On that topic, how do the Bonamassas compare to the Antiquities?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I just picked up a Slash neck which is going to replace a Pearly Gates neck in one of my Jacksons, I've never tried one but I've had the A2Ps in a couple of different Les Pauls and I think it's going to give me what I'm missing with the PG, mainly bite and clarity, warmth but with articulation.
                  Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                  Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                  Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                  Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

This is my 335 copy loaded with an UOA5 modded Ant set, which I loaned to a friend that had a Bonamassa set in his LP to record with it.

After the recording was made, he told me how similar the tone was from my Ants set and his Bonamassas... in fact, *I* couldn't guess which was which by hearing the recording and, for the record (pun intended), he couldn't hear it either; he just remembered what guitar he used on each track.

I've installed a couple of Slash sets into my customer's guitars; however, as I haven't personally test-tried the Slash set, I can't comment on them. Playing a few chords with'em doesn't really give enough info to "comment" on them, isn't it?

HTH,
                    Last edited by LtKojak; 12-06-2013, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

This is my 335 copy loaded with an UOA5 modded Ant set, which I loaned to a friend that had a Bonamassa set in his LP to record with it.

After the recording was made, he told me how similar the tone was from my Ants set and his Bonamassas... in fact, *I* couldn't guess which was which by hearing the recording and, for the record (pun intended), he couldn't hear it either; he just remembered what guitar he used on each track.

I've installed a couple of Slash sets into my customer's guitars; however, as I haven't personally test-tried the Slash set, I can't comment on them. Playing a few chords with'em doesn't really give enough info to "comment" on them, isn't it?

HTH,

Very nice guitar !

Comment

Actually some of the Duncan employees here have said their favorite PU's are Seth's. Seth's usually come out ahead with people who've had both Ant's and Seth's. The high-ends on Ant's are very rounded in warm woods, not to mention the low output, and some players replace the aged A2's with fully-charged A2's or UOA5's. I wish the Bonamassa set was more affordable.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Very nice guitar !
                          Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X