banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

magnet size for 7-string custom mag swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnet size for 7-string custom mag swap?

Hi forum,

I have an SD custom bridge in a mahogany 7-string guitar and I don't like the tone; sounds thin and shrill to my ears. I play metal/prog mostly. I'd like to swap magnets for an alnico 8, however, since it is a 7-string pickup I am modifying, I am not sure whether I can use a standard size a8 magnet or whether I would need a longer size a8 magnet. If the latter, I don't know where I would get a longer size a8 magnet...

Does anyone know whether the magnet in the custom 7-string model is longer than standard size magnets? If so, does anyone know where to find a longer than standard size alnico 8 magnet?

Thanks!

Re: magnet size for 7-string custom mag swap?

It sounds thin? Doesnt sound like a Custom to me but i have never played the 7 string version
    -IM

Comment

Thanks, perhaps my lead-in was tmi; question is: where can one buy 7 string SD pickup sized alnico 8 mangets?

Comment

Does the pickup sound out of phase (think Brian May tone) or is it just not beefy enought for you? If it's out of phase then we need to replace it for you!

Comment

Hi Scott, thanks for your message. I don't think there's anything wrong with the p/up per say (it's on par with video clips I've looked up on youtube), I just don't like it unfortunately. I probably should have listened more to audio/video clips before buying and relied less on enthusiastic verbal endorsements, because after all, tone is personal!

Comment

It uses the same size magnet as in regular 6 string pups.

The Custom uses a ceramic mag which has a shrill/brittle sound to the highs. I personally could not get along with that brightness so I replaced the ceramic with an A8 mag. Made a big difference. Smoother, warmer highs without the harshness of the ceramic. Of all the stock Customs (Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom) this is by far my favorite.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              It uses the same size magnet as in regular 6 string pups.

The Custom uses a ceramic mag which has a shrill/brittle sound to the highs. I personally could not get along with that brightness so I replaced the ceramic with an A8 mag. Made a big difference. Smoother, warmer highs without the harshness of the ceramic. Of all the stock Customs (Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom) this is by far my favorite.
              That's interesting to hear, about the size. I've been talking to folks at sevenstring.org who group purchased longer A8 magnets for their 7 string customs, I believe it was 2.75" vs. 2.50". So, now I'm just uber confused! But thanks for your input. Anyone who could reconcile would be much appreciated.

As an aside, the folks who could most easily reconcile would be seymour duncan employees. Unfortunately, I contacted support prior to posting this thread and was told that they would not tell me how long the magnet is because they don't support users modifying their pickups. Mag length seems more like a product information request to me. Either way, I find the refusal ironic given that there is a video regarding how to swap magnets on the seymour duncan official blog. They did offer to do the swap for me for a fee... Not trying to start a flame war by any means and most of my guitars have SD pickups so I'm a fairly loyal customer; but left a bad taste in my mouth...

Comment

I suppose you could use a longer magnet, but you won't find any difference in tone or response.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X