banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CustomCustom vs. A2P vs how we word the things we hear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CustomCustom vs. A2P vs how we word the things we hear.

I just read the article in the link below.

While I went on and on in one of my previous articles about the Custom Custom bridge pickup, I’d love to introduce one of its fraternal twins, the Custom 5. I think of it like this: The Custom Custom is like a bowl of clam chowder: rich, and creamy. The Custom 5, while the same...

So please help out, because i don't think i understand completely :

The article is about the Cusstom 5, but the person who wrote it, said the following about the Custom Custom :

"I think of it like this: The Custom Custom is like a bowl of clam chowder: rich, and creamy"

Now, the Duncan Tone Chart refers to the Custom Custom EQ-wise as 3/7/7 - B/M/T

Also, Duncan describes the A2P as 7/4/8 - B/M/T.
    The A2P has a lot more low end than the Custom Custom, so how can the above person say the less bassy / less warmer (than the A2P) Custom Custom is sooo, ermmmm, "rich and creamy" ???

Does anyone make sense of it all ?
    Does anyone understand what i am trying toget at ?
    What am i not seeing here ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: CustomCustom vs. A2P vs how we word the things we hear.

IMO "rich and creamy" has a lot more to do with mids than bass. And you'll notice the CC has more mids (7) than the A2P (4). I can't say for sure that this is the determining factor, I haven't tried either pickup. Just my take on it.
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
      IMO "rich and creamy" has a lot more to do with mids than bass. And you'll notice the CC has more mids (7) than the A2P (4). I can't say for sure that this is the determining factor, I haven't tried either pickup. Just my take on it.

Fair enough.

Thanks

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

I was talking about the boosted mids in the CC when I wrote the article.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's going to depend a lot on the wood and guitar design they're in.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I was talking about the boosted mids in the CC when I wrote the article.
            Thanks for clarifying that . . . got me real confused there.

Comment

Since I've had a CC before I understand what he means by that. The mids are smooth a bit too smooth for what I wanted.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                Since I've had a CC before I understand what he means by that. The mids are smooth a bit too smooth for what I wanted.
                Definitely smooth, and warm, in an LP. But not nearly as much in a Strat. It's all relative.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                  I just read the article in the link below.

While I went on and on in one of my previous articles about the Custom Custom bridge pickup, I’d love to introduce one of its fraternal twins, the Custom 5. I think of it like this: The Custom Custom is like a bowl of clam chowder: rich, and creamy. The Custom 5, while the same...

So please help out, because i don't think i understand completely :

The article is about the Cusstom 5, but the person who wrote it, said the following about the Custom Custom :

"I think of it like this: The Custom Custom is like a bowl of clam chowder: rich, and creamy"

Now, the Duncan Tone Chart refers to the Custom Custom EQ-wise as 3/7/7 - B/M/T

Also, Duncan describes the A2P as 7/4/8 - B/M/T.
                  The A2P has a lot more low end than the Custom Custom, so how can the above person say the less bassy / less warmer (than the A2P) Custom Custom is sooo, ermmmm, "rich and creamy" ???

Does anyone make sense of it all ?
                  Does anyone understand what i am trying toget at ?
                  What am i not seeing here ?
                  I'm sorry but those tone chart values are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    I'm sorry but those tone chart values are ridiculous.
                    +1. Can't really expect to duplicate those yourself. The problems with the EQ's in the Tone Chart are: 1) there's only one rating for both bridge and neck, 2) it doesn't take in account the guitar/wood which has an impact on EQ, and 3) nor does it account for the amplification which also shapes the tone. Like the sound clips, the EQ's are pretty much for newbies, and of questionable benefit. But some people insist on that being available to them.

Comment

FWIW, the two pickups in play here have soundclips on SD's website.

You can even make a frequency distribution chart from them.

Comment

3/7/7 for cc seems inaccurate from my experience (and setup), but Mincer in his blog said he thinks its pretty accurate. YMMV?

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          +1. Can't really expect to duplicate those yourself. The problems with the EQ's in the Tone Chart are: 1) there's only one rating for both bridge and neck, 2) it doesn't take in account the guitar/wood which has an impact on EQ, and 3) nor does it account for the amplification which also shapes the tone. Like the sound clips, the EQ's are pretty much for newbies, and of questionable benefit. But some people insist on that being available to them.
                          +2 Don't invest too much weight on the eq charts in your hb decision making.

The main distinction  is the pick attack. The A2P delivers the crisp Duncan sound with vintage sensitivity/ pick dynamics & focused mid character (ex:Slash, Akira Takasaki). The Custom pushes a meaty spongier mid tone with lighter picking, much less bite.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••
                          4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
                          VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
                          Dunc Dist Demo
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                            3/7/7 for cc seems inaccurate from my experience (and setup), but Mincer in his blog said he thinks its pretty accurate. YMMV?
                            To my ears, the CC is a pickup that reacts strongly to a tremolo with block. The treble is maybe a /2 in a Les Paul but it wakes up significantly in a Strat or Floyd guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              To my ears, the CC is a pickup that reacts strongly to a tremolo with block. The treble is maybe a /2 in a Les Paul but it wakes up significantly in a Strat or Floyd guitar.
                              Right, so how does an EQ rating in the Tone Chart take that into account?

Comment

Working...
                              X