7 String pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String pups

For the past 15 years, I have been a die hard Les Paul player. For the past five, the Duncan Custom has been my bridge pickup of choice. I've recently gotten the 7 string bug, and purchased a Sterling JP70. It's a very nice guitar. The pups are okay, but I feel like I could find something better. I'm not really sure that the Custom would be the best pickup for the 7. I think there might be too much bass. So I'm in the market for a 7 string pup. I'd like to keep it to Duncan or DiMarzios. The Illuminator 7 has me intrigued, but I don't want to have to re eq my amp in the middle of a gig. So I'm kinda looking for something that will sound good with my 5153's eq settings that I use for the Custom. Any suggestions? What do you guys think of re Pegasus? I play more hard rock than metal.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Re: 7 String pups

looking forward to feedback on this.

been in the market for a better 7-string model pickup for many years, but I have all the same concerns.

Comment

I'm only going by what I hear on youtube and whatnot, but the Pegasus seems to be a really versatile pickup. The illuminator 7 sounds alright too, but the Dimarzio Titan really has me interested. (I think it's available in 7 string but I can't remember) I've read that it sounds like a more modern Custom. Not sure what that means exactly but I know I like the sound. I suggest checking that out since you're a custom user.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Rockstar216
      Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Never played the Pegasus. Keith Merrow told me it was more tame compared to the Nazgul.

I really like the Nazgul. Its not as hot as you would think. Very clear under gain.

What is it you dislike about the current PUs?
        -IM

Comment

The stock pickups tend to mush out on the b string.
          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

For sure. I think SD nailed the Nazgul. I get great cleans and light OD sounds from it, besides getting awesome heavy rock and metal tone. Its very responsive. Never played the Pegasus but I would love to
            -IM

Comment

I'm getting a Nazgul soon and I have the 5153. I read your post on Rig-Talk and I did the same tube swap you did. (great improvement by the way) I'll post my findings. I should get the pickup Friday, I'll play it, but the real test is band practice on Sunday.
              Originally posted by SFW View Post
              For the past 15 years, I have been a die hard Les Paul player. For the past five, the Duncan Custom has been my bridge pickup of choice. I've recently gotten the 7 string bug, and purchased a Sterling JP70. It's a very nice guitar. The pups are okay, but I feel like I could find something better. I'm not really sure that the Custom would be the best pickup for the 7. I think there might be too much bass. So I'm in the market for a 7 string pup. I'd like to keep it to Duncan or DiMarzios. The Illuminator 7 has me intrigued, but I don't want to have to re eq my amp in the middle of a gig. So I'm kinda looking for something that will sound good with my 5153's eq settings that I use for the Custom. Any suggestions? What do you guys think of re Pegasus? I play more hard rock than metal.

Comment

still unable to wrap my head around the Duncan line of 7-string pickups based on descriptions and reviews. and I'd keep expecting the Tolkien family to show up at my door and want royalties. the names just don't make sense and are off the reservation from what Duncan is known for. the comparative relation to existing models is all over the place. maybe when there are some samples of something a little more rock and a little less of a metal sub-category.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                  still unable to wrap my head around the Duncan line of 7-string pickups based on descriptions and reviews. and I'd keep expecting the Tolkien family to show up at my door and want royalties. the names just don't make sense and are off the reservation from what Duncan is known for. the comparative relation to existing models is all over the place. maybe when there are some samples of something a little more rock and a little less of a metal sub-category.
                  When I get a 7 string to put the Nazgul in, I'll play a few riffs that I've written, a few from favourite tracks and then some mid-distortion/mid-gain tracks and some clean stuff. If that'd help..?

YouTube is a fantastic way to get an idea but, people just never use the tone settings you want.

I get a brilliant Gorgoroth/God Seed tone from my Phat Cat. I only went on the recommendation fro the guy at the shop. Best advice of my life so, far.
                  Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 12-11-2013, 05:06 AM.
                  Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

What wood is the guitar made of? For metal in my old 7, twas an Ibby, I ran a X2N bridge and a Tone Zone, yes Tone Zone, in the neck....I really liked the tones I got from that setup but my bandmates at the time told me my 7 string "was too Modern" for what we were doing so I sold it....

I think if I ever get another 7 string I'll ring the custom shop for a 7 string El Diablo and a 7 string Demon....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                      What wood is the guitar made of? For metal in my old 7, twas an Ibby, I ran a X2N bridge and a Tone Zone, yes Tone Zone, in the neck....I really liked the tones I got from that setup but my bandmates at the time told me my 7 string "was too Modern" for what we were doing so I sold it....

I think if I ever get another 7 string I'll ring the custom shop for a 7 string El Diablo and a 7 string Demon....
                      Now, that sounds like a plan :P
                      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                        When I get a 7 string to put the Nazgul in, I'll play a few riffs that I've written, a few from favourite tracks and then some mid-distortion/mid-gain tracks and some clean stuff. If that'd help..?

YouTube is a fantastic way to get an idea but, people just never use the tone settings you want.

I get a brilliant Gorgoroth/God Seed tone from my Phat Cat. I only went on the recommendation fro the guy at the shop. Best advice of my life so, far.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. Please let me know when you get to that point.

The deal with YouTube is the lack of consistency. Something nice would be a video along the lines of what Keith made, but with different levels of gain and maybe a little more accessible content. Keith is a great player and great at what he does, but I might be a bit more of an older fart that can't relate to what them youngsters are playing these days.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Of the new pickups I would go with the Pegasus first which is a bit lighter on the output than the Nazgul and has lots of clarity. Here's a new demo I just got sent this morning:

Comment

Working...
                          X