What cap for P-Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cap for P-Rails

The original caps that came in my PRS SE SC are starting to sound scratchy. Yes, I know I could use contact cleaner but I'm going to do a complete re-wire. Has anyone here used something other than a 500K with a P-Rail?

Re: What cap for P-Rails

I've used 500k pots with telecaster pickups.

I'd consider maybe going to 1 meg but IMO p-rails pickups are already kinda dark even in p-90 and single coil
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Potentiometers (Pots) not caps, right?
      "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Yeah, POTS.

"Caps" are capacitors. "Pots" are those big round things attached to volume and tone knobs which vary the resistance as they are turned.

I use 500k pots with my P-Rails. I wouldn't consider using 250k pots...too dark. You'd lose that brightness/crispness/bite which makes a P-90 so unique (wonderful) sounding.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Yeah, POTS.

"Caps" are capacitors. "Pots" are those big round things attached to volume and tone knobs which vary the resistance as they are turned.

I use 500k pots with my P-Rails. I wouldn't consider using 250k pots...too dark. You'd lose that brightness/crispness/bite which makes a P-90 so unique (wonderful) sounding.
          I use 250K pots with my P-rails in my Strat I love the tone. Then again I like a deeper dark guitar tone. In the humbucking position it sounds fantastic.

Comment

Yes, I meant pots not caps.

Thanks for your answers everyone. I think I'll just get 500K pots and a .047uf PIO cap for now.

Comment

Working...
            X