banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still need some help wiring this gd SD p-rails bridge pickup!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still need some help wiring this gd SD p-rails bridge pickup!!!

I've probably wired this thing 20 times by now and have yet to achieve what i want.

basically i have an ON ON ON gibosn style toggle switch, 1 tone pot, 2 volume pots.

Here is what i want to do:

p90
    neck p90 bridge p90 in series
    humbucker

on toggle switch

i think i have it wired up right ATM but i'm having some grounding issues so said f it and i decided to gut the whole thing and rewire it again. So just to be clear this time, on my switch i go black to the top prong, green to the bottom, tie off and solder/tape the white/red leads and then in the middle position i wire it so black is piggybacked there and i wire the p90 from my bridge to there by the same method. Does that sound correct?

i'm also a bit confused about where my gounding issues is coming from, maybe it's just my cable TBH cause everything is grounded properly but should i ground the toggle switch and then piggyback ground each of the pots? the wire going to the output jack seems to be causing the issue but if i took it away and/or ground it then it's not bad but there's still a bit of hum when i touch the strings! so what am i doing wrong here?

i study electronic engineering so i can fix whatever is wrong but i can't seem to figure out what exactly is wrong. If i measure resistance at a ground point i'll pick up a bit sometimes so that's why i'm going to rewire this bastard with new pots, it's too bad i'll have to replace my gibson pots but whatever, i'll get cts ones when i can.

anyone have a rough schematic? or a picture at least? the problem is i blew my push/pull pot and then blew my mini toggle (dont put 16a through an 8 a switch!) by being stupid. The push/pull was just garbage, fell apart in my hands actually.

is there any way i can make an ON ON ON gibson switch into on off on? or should i just reroute the red white wires to another pot? I don't want any parallel sounds or any phase stuff, just pure series high resistance beefy p90ish tone!

Re: Still need some help wiring this gd SD p-rails bridge pickup!!!

Not sure quite what you're trying to achieve - your post seems a little vague....title says you have a p-rails to wire, but there is no mention of the rails part, just a bridge and neck p90.

For one, you'll not get the middle position as series. Its parallel. Actually this works well, as it will be the same volume as the other positions. The series in the middle would be wooly, hot and muffled. The hot output (black on SD pickups) will go to the switch. Red/white (if present)

Grounds shouldn't ever be a complete circle. So from the switch ground, go to the pot backs, then to the output sleeve. There is also the bridge ground which is also soldered to the pots too.

Comment

Re: Still need some help wiring this gd SD p-rails bridge pickup!!!

If I am getting you, you wanted to have both pickups in series in the middle position of that 3-way Gibson toggle switch.
      THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. PERIOD.

To do that, you need an extra DPDT on/on switch or, a pull/push pot.

Just wire those two pickups to the serializer DPDT or pull/push.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	HB_serializer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	5773166

Use the second pic and, consider the upper coil as your neck pickup and the lower coil as your bridge pickup.
      Upper coil Black wire correesponds to your neck black wire.
      Upper coil Light blue wire corresponds to your neck green wire.
      Lower coil Red wire corresponds to your bridge black wire.
      Lower coil Green wire corresponds to your bridge green wire.
      Hot 1 is the output for neck pickup (to the 3-way)
      Hot 2 is the output for bridge pickup (to the 3-way).

Note: when in series, ALL POSITIONS in that 3-way will give you the same: both pickups in series.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Working...
      X