Making Les Paul sounding like Telecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making Les Paul sounding like Telecaster

I'm siding with LewGuitar on this one. Install a JB and a DPDT pot to either split the coils or put them in parallel. That should give you enough top end and twang to sound Teleish.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Re: Making Les Paul sounding like Telecaster

To get this single coil feeling one great way to go it is ussing a Stag Mag split. I have made myself two hybrid humbuckers with an Stag Mag and a cheese humbucker (without the bar magnet, I don't want it to interfere with the rod mag of the StagMag). I only use them split because I didn't care to use the bad quality coil (but it helps to keep the views ). I have this pickups intaled in the neck and bridge position of a Guild S-100 (SG type of guitar) and I absolutely love the tone of this pickups.

The SM split are very fenderish with picking responsiviness, twang and quack. But the 24'75 scale character and the mahogany comes throught too so it is very hard to get the edgy tone of a strat or a tele, in trade you get the warm fattter tone sometimes the strat and tele miss.

To avoid some of the noise you get from the single coils I have put a nickel cover on the pickups with the rod magnets coming out throught the holes of the cover. This helps a lot to keep the views and provides a good shielding. As a plus the middle position it is humcancelling. I haven't tried the bridge and middle in series but surely they have to rock: high output, humcanceling... mmh

If you want a exact tele replica from your LesPaul I should say that you'll never get it. The differences in desing and materials are a huge gap that a pickup change won't solve. But If you want the character and the feeling I think you'll be very satisfied with the Stag Mags.

Comment

Working...
      X