banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Custom (SH-11) bridge and Screamin Demon (SH-12) NECK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom (SH-11) bridge and Screamin Demon (SH-12) NECK?

Will it work on an Alder Super strat with a Floyd?

I want a 59n in the neck position, but I can't get one as of the moment. I have an opportunity to grab a screamin demon now though. Not sure if it makes a good neck pickup compared to a 59n? And whether or not it works well with a Custom Custom on the bridge?

The guitar is a little too bright for my taste, and I hope to get a warmer sound.

I still have an APH-1 and PGn on 2 Les Pauls, and so if you can compare it to those neck pups, then that would help as well.

Thanks for your replies!

Re: Custom Custom (SH-11) bridge and Screamin Demon (SH-12) NECK?

CC's are warm PU's, most guys think they're to warm for LP's; they're much better-suited to Strats. For a bright guitar, a Screamin' Demoen would be a good choice if you want a hot neck PU.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The CC I think will do what you want in your strat. The 'demon in the neck slot is certainly not what I would call a "hot" neck pickup at all. In fact, it won't have much more juice than a '59N. I makes a great neck pickup as I find the lowend isn't too overbearing and it has a lot of clarity. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't match up well with the CC.

Comment

How "warm" and/or "round" is the screamin demon versus the 59n?

Also, do you flip the screamin demon for the neck? Or would it not make that big a difference if you position it as is (like as a bridge pup)?

Comment

Hmmm. I find in the neck slot, the 'demon actually has rounder highs and more mids than the 59N. It also has less low end so it sounds less "big" in that position. So, EQ-wise, that is what I hear. I wouldn't necessarily say it is warmer though.

It will make a bit of difference which way you orient the 'demon due to the different pole pieces. Even though in the neck slot I found it to be slight, I positioned it like I would in the bridge and replaced the slotted screws with hex screws.

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
            Hmmm. I find in the neck slot, the 'demon actually has rounder highs and more mids than the 59N...I wouldn't necessarily say it is warmer though.
            That's what overwound PU's sound like in the neck slot: 'rounder highs and more mids', which is what the rest of all call 'warm.'
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I positioned it like I would in the bridge and replaced the slotted screws with hex screws.
              Replaced, meaning you swapped it? Or is it now all hex screws?

Comment

Hmmm. I find in the neck slot, the 'demon actually has rounder highs and more mids than the 59N. It also has less low end so it sounds less "big" in that position.
                I concur but not really sure about less "big" part (I don't know what he meant). It sounds fuller and warmer than '59 to me, yet clear and articulate. I guess the added meat would make Demon better pair with CC than '59 with its mid-scoop. Another dedicated bridge pickup that sounds good in the neck slot is PG+, a bit more raw and less high end than Demon. I feel no need to flip them.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                  I concur but not really sure about less "big" part (I don't know what he meant). It sounds fuller and warmer than '59 to me, yet clear and articulate.
                  That sounds better to me actually. The best neck pup I've had/heard is the APH1 -- very warm pickup but (surprisingly) very articulate. I feel like I'm Paul Gilbert with my pick attack!

I guess the added meat would make Demon better pair with CC than '59 with its mid-scoop. Another dedicated bridge pickup that sounds good in the neck slot is PG+, a bit more raw and less high end than Demon. I feel no need to flip them.
                  I have a PGn and I prefer the APH1. I'm not a big fan of the "texas sizzle". It's a good neck pup, but not better than the APH1. My only experience with a 59, was a lil 59 on a mahogany guitar. It sounded great in that guitar! Which why my plan really was for a 59n for this alder super strat with a floyd.

From your description, it seems like I will even like the screamin demon more than the 59n.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
                    From your description, it seems like I will even like the screamin demon more than the 59n.
                    Yes, if you have a bright guitar and want a warmer neck sound, without it being too muffled or muddy.

Comment

But is the 'demon REALLY an overwound neck pickup....or actually under wound for the gauge of wire it uses? A Custom is wound in the 14-15k range with the same gauge of wire, which, IMO would make the 'demon under wound. Certainly no more powerful and actually less powerful than many PAF's. Anyway, I see your point on my wording. I think the reason I have found the 59N neck warmer is the expanded bottom end that I hear.

Fretburner: All hex screws now....looks just like a fullshred! I have an S-Deco in the bridge slot on that guitar, so I did it more for the sake of uniformity.

Comment

I see your point on my wording. I think the reason I have found the 59N neck warmer is the expanded bottom end that I hear.
                        Yeah, that infamous '59 low-end, it can work for you, or against you.

To me, a 10K neck HB is pretty hot, but then I have a lot of PAF's.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          Yeah, that infamous '59 low-end, it can work for you, or against you.

To me, a 10K neck HB is pretty hot, but then I have a lot of PAF's.
                          Ya, it definitely worked against me. My initial experience with it was in an already huge sounding les Paul and it was just muddy. Personally, I never go for warmer in the neck slot....bright, tight and clear are what I am after. The closest I have come was actually a full shred neck with a ceramic magnet. Great rock/metal pickup....but doesn't sound so great or balance well with the bridge 'buckers I use now, which are more moderate in output.

Comment

the demon will still seem bright-ish in the neck, but it cuts through really well. it still tracks quite well, and does a great semi-clean thing.

i've not played a CC in an alder superstrat, but i believe that is where that pickup is most at home.

haven't played the 2 as a set but like the idea; not sure if keeping the neck low and the bridge higher will balance it enough, as the demon packs quite a punch.

if you try this and like it, please let us know?
                            : ]

Comment

Ya, it definitely worked against me. My initial experience with it was in an already huge sounding les Paul and it was just muddy. Personally, I never go for warmer in the neck slot....bright, tight and clear are what I am after. The closest I have come was actually a full shred neck with a ceramic magnet. Great rock/metal pickup....but doesn't sound so great or balance well with the bridge 'buckers I use now, which are more moderate in output.
                              '59N's in LP's are often boomy, common observation here, just too much mahogany. Usually better with an A3 or A4.

I'm also a big fan of brighter neck PU's, which is why Screamin' Demons are too hot for me. What I've been doing to get more treble and bite from them is using unbalanced coils, either from spin-a-split or hybrid coils. It's a blend of HB (balanced, cancelling part) and single coil (unbalanced part) which adds high-end and thins out some of the mids. Makes neck HB's more versatile, and to me, they work together with bridge PU's much better. I've used a Screamin' Demon with a bridge PAF to make a couple hybrids in the low 9K's. For me that's a nice bridge PU with a warm magnet, for others it would be a brighter, clearer neck HB when used with a brighter magnet.

Comment

Working...
                              X