banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made there own pup yet from SD CS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made there own pup yet from SD CS?

I want to but it is pretty expensive... I either want a custom shop SD or a BareKnuckle what do you think I will have a better time with and if you have used the CS how was the outcome? did you like it?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Basses: Ibanez SR605
    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Re: Has anyone made there own pup yet from SD CS?

There are a bunch of folks on here who have ordered from the custom shop. I have been happy with all of my orders from them! Bareknuckle is also great; I have a few of their pickups as well. You really can't go wrong either way. What kind of pickup are you looking to order/create?

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
      There are a bunch of folks on here who have ordered from the custom shop. I have been happy with all of my orders from them! Bareknuckle is also great; I have a few of their pickups as well. You really can't go wrong either way. What kind of pickup are you looking to order/create?
      uh just something kind of similar to an active but passive and I am not a fan of the Invader.

I just have a fear that when I go somewhere with my active pickups that they will die and I do not want that lol I am looking at the Black winter or something but I am only looking for bridge pup, I want good bottom end and I want the clarity to remain under good amounts of gain and not wash up and go all muddy on me.
      Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
      Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

If you call the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and Tell MJ (Maricela) What you want she can guide you as to specs and wind it for you. I think you'll get just what it is that you want.
        "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

Are you asking if someone has had their own design made through the CS or simply ordered from the CS.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
            Are you asking if someone has had their own design made through the CS or simply ordered from the CS.

uh... a custom pickup made to their desire

Comment

You could just get the Blackouts Modular Preamp.

Turns passive pickups into actives, and you can just turn the preamp off and run it all on passive.

But if you simply carry an extra 9v around in your pocket, you're going to be fine. Not really a big enough problem to close the door on actives. Not only that, but one battery can last you years. Just remember to unplug your cable before putting the guitar away (inserting the cable is what turns the pickups on).

Comment

Uh...interesting approach. Uh...Duncan can make whatever you want, or at least they claim they can. Uh...Yet BKP doesn't.

After spending over 18 months and a ton of dough on custom and boutique models, I often wonder if the same couldn't be achieved by most production models pickups and looking at those curious round things on amps called knobs.

Comment

Me personally I would go CS over BK because for the same price of a BK pup I can get a Customized pup to my exact specs for the same price.

I look at guitars the same way for what I could get off the wall at GC for $1,500 and up and could buy the parts and put it together for less the price. Sure the head stock won't have Gibson/Fender/Ibanez etc… but I don't buy guitars for resale value or to collect I buy them for feel and to play.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

FYI...If you choose a CS model that's in production, there are many online and Ebay stores that have them in stock. From what I have heard, it could be a month or so before you get it. I love BKP's, but the question always is, are they worth the money? That's for you to decide. They do have a very unique tone, which I haven't heard anywhere else. But then again, so do Duncan's. I loooove the Black Winter. I also loooove the BKP Black Hawk, which is supposed to be like an active, but thank Christ it sounds nothing like an EMG. I've thought of ordering a custom shop to my specs, but my fear is that I really don't know what it takes to engineer a pickup to make it sound like the tone I got going on in my head, and that could get expensive. For example, I have the BKP Black Hawk which measure 8.5k on my meter, but has the same gain as the Black Winters, which offer 16.6kohms output. The same thing with my Lundgren M6. Low k ohms, but aggressive tone. I know what your going through. Maybe if you asked the forum what you were looking for in guitar tone and what your amp and speakers are, they could get you there without you spending boatloads of $$$. On a side note, I literally have $1k worth of pickups sitting in my house. A lot of that money could've been put towards speakers or amp mods or another head for that matter, which I found to have a much more significant effect on tone than the frustrating ordeal of swapping pickup after pickup. Anyway I love both Duncans and BKP. I think BKP's are worth the cheddar, and if the Black Winter cost 150 bones, I'd pay it.
                    Originally posted by epi View Post
                    I want to but it is pretty expensive... I either want a custom shop SD or a BareKnuckle what do you think I will have a better time with and if you have used the CS how was the outcome? did you like it?

Comment

I already have the amp I am in love with 5150 peavey but I want new pickups... But I need pickups I hate the EMGs they don't sound unique to me... They just have a noise... The only thing I like about them is the output and how it sounds it in my amp but in terms of quality it's bad lol so... It's pickup time boys so I will probably wait to find a guitar I really like that I will feel good about switching pickups. It's just I have little money income as I am only 16 and can't get a non so whatever I buy it better be good lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first CS model was an Invader 8 string - ironically, had I waited 4 months, I'd have been able to buy one but, meh, mine has a 21.54k output which, I think is a tad less than the stock models.

It's mental :P I totally adore it though, I'd have liked the logo on it - that's the only down side.

The second pickup I've ordered should be delivered any day and that's the Phat Cat though, the true description is a Quarter Pound Hot Cat - it's got a 13.81k output and I'm expecting something pretty awesome again.

The third pickup is in the process of being made so, I'll update you when that one gets here.
                        Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                          The third pickup is in the process of being made so, I'll update you when that one gets here.
                          Ok, I probably won't be ordering till like January as soon as I get some cash or until I get a job.... Which could be a while lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I already have the amp I am in love with 5150 peavey but I want new pickups... But I need pickups I hate the EMGs they don't sound unique to me... They just have a noise... The only thing I like about them is the output and how it sounds it in my amp but in terms of quality it's bad lol so... It's pickup time boys so I will probably wait to find a guitar I really like that I will feel good about switching pickups. It's just I have little money income as I am only 16 and can't get a non so whatever I buy it better be good lol.

What kind of sound are you going for..? Or what band is your tone based on..?

To be honest, there's little to beat an SH-6 with a 5150. That said, you get an equal amount of badassery from a '78 Model.

If you have an idea obviously, SD are the people to go to but, I would project that there's enough experience among the forum members to point you in the direction of a spec that you can easily identify.

Perhaps, just throwing this in there, an SH-6 with an AlNiCo 8 magnet in there. If you want more 'chainsaw grind' try an AlNiCo 9. Buying a Distortion for whatever £50 is in US$/CN$ and then spending maybe $5 on a different magnet is cheaper in the short-term than spending $160 on a custom shop model.

But, it's ultimately YOUR decision, mate.
                            Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

I've had some custom pickups made from the Custom Shop. Each time, they delivered as promised. I didn't stray too far from the vintage formula; just slight tweaks on tried and true Duncan designs, to achieve the tone I was looking for.

1. Custom Alnico 5 Twangbanger. I asked MJ to make my a Twangbanger, but with Alnico 5 rods. Turned out great, just like the A2 TB, but with a bit more glass on top, and a bit less mids.

2. Custom Shop "Hot 59": I had MJ wind me a 59 to 9.2K. Sounded great - just like the 59, but louder and more aggressive.

3. Custom Shop "Hot 59 Alnico 2": MJ wound me a 59, bumped up to 8.8-9K, with an Alnico II magnet. This is currently my favorite pickup. Really expressive, powerful, cleans up nice, sounds very vintage and warm, just enough cut on top. A real winner.

4. Custom Shop "Alnico 2 59N". Just a plain ol' 59n, with an A2 slapped in it.

Every Custom Shop pickup that I've ordered sounds great, and the turnaround time was very fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X