Fender wide range humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender wide range humbuckers

Nobody does CuNiFe apart from Telenator. The Creamery does have a similar alloy, and has a special wind to make it close.

Comment

Originally posted by che_guitarra View Post
      Hmmm... interesting about the pickups. The guitar I played didn't really have a P90 sound about it, infact it was remarkably tele-ish and ker-plunky... maybe the reissue I played had a few mods done to it (it wasn't a brand new RI - it was a late 90s MIJ).

In regards to the body I actually plan to use a standard Warmoth thinline body. The WR cavity isn't available as an option on this design. I'm also going to do away with a pickguard and opt for a rear routed control cavity instead, and wood mounted pickups. Like I said above i'm not really a fan of the 70s Fender 'natural' aesthetic, i'm going to change it up more to my tastes... in this case i'm shooting for a Tele Jet (?) of sorts:
      Where do P-90's come into play??

As for the sound of the reissue, if you dug it then just roll with reissue pickups...they are common and don't cost a lot.

As for them sounding like a Tele, I guess that all depends on what your ears tell you...I find the reissue WRHB's dark, hot and honky....none of the things I think about when I think about a Tele.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        Nobody does CuNiFe apart from Telenator. The Creamery does have a similar alloy, and has a special wind to make it close.
        lollar does the authentic cunife as well.

the fender re-issue wide range are nothing like the originals.

Comment

^ where is this info. Lollar doesn't have it on their website, and you'd think they trumpet this if true.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            Where do P-90's come into play??
            My bad, I meant PAF. A lot of Google reviews seem to think the new Fender WRHBs are closer to a PAF than anything else, but i'm not hearing it on the guitar I played.

I went back to the guitar store today and the pickups are a mystery. There's no Fender branding as I thought I saw, and without pulling the guitar apart I have no way of identifying what this guitar is running.
            Last edited by che_guitarra; 12-09-2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              ^ where is this info. Lollar doesn't have it on their website, and you'd think they trumpet this if true.
              sorry, i think i may be mistaken. it seems he doesn't use cunife threaded pole pieces but an alternate material (ferco) that sounds close to it.

Comment

I think The Creamery does something similar too, another alloy which sounds similar. CuNiFe I believe either isn't manufactured anymore, or as close to can't be as to make no difference (I think regulations are to blame). The Telenator has managed to have just 1 batch done. Apparently once these are gone he can't get any more.

Comment

I'm curious about Seymour's take on the WRHB since he had such a close relationship to Seth Lover.

My main beef with the repros is that they aren't the original width so people need to get a different pickguard if they want to upgrade their MIM or even MIJ WRHB pups in their '72 Customs and Deluxes (which aren't losing popularity any time soon).

I know that Curtis actually wants you to buy one and send it to him and he'll use the cover and baseplate off of the MIM or MIJ WRHB for his design. I'm currently slowly building a '72 Custom partscaster and I really want the traditional width of the WRHB but don't want the Fender PAF style approximation... as small as it is, that's a consumer niche that's not being filled. Probably just not enough demand.
                  Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

i agree about the connection with Seth, Seymour and the WRHB.

btw, the lollars are the same size as the originals.

Comment

Amazing timing!

Here is a little something from the custom shop about their WRHB and it looks really nice BTW.

Click image for larger version

Name:	882938_539083619505184_979204947_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	5773201
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

^^ Hmm, A5 rods. Probably uses a special wind too to get within the tonal spectrum of the oldies.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Again, check out the MojoTone WR Humbuckers, they make them in sizes for both modern and vintage versions, and different output options. Threaded rod mags, and probably a lot less money than the boutique versions.

Al

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                          I'm curious about Seymour's take on the WRHB since he had such a close relationship to Seth Lover.

My main beef with the repros is that they aren't the original width so people need to get a different pickguard if they want to upgrade their MIM or even MIJ WRHB pups in their '72 Customs and Deluxes (which aren't losing popularity any time soon).

I know that Curtis actually wants you to buy one and send it to him and he'll use the cover and baseplate off of the MIM or MIJ WRHB for his design. I'm currently slowly building a '72 Custom partscaster and I really want the traditional width of the WRHB but don't want the Fender PAF style approximation... as small as it is, that's a consumer niche that's not being filled. Probably just not enough demand.

Comment

Originally posted by che_guitarra View Post
                            My bad, I meant PAF. A lot of Google reviews seem to think the new Fender WRHBs are closer to a PAF than anything else, but i'm not hearing it on the guitar I played.

I went back to the guitar store today and the pickups are a mystery. There's no Fender branding as I thought I saw, and without pulling the guitar apart I have no way of identifying what this guitar is running.
                            Here's what's under the hood of a Fender reissue WRHB(top) compared to an original one from the 70's(bottom)...the reissue is a standard humbucker wrapped in a wax casing:

This should explain why they don't sound like the originals, aside from the use of Cunife mags. Personally I don't think they sound like a PAF either. I had a set from Vintage Vibe that were excellent sounding in a Thinline I used to have. I'd look in to them as well.

Comment

Well the Creamery and Lollar both do the right size....lets face it the tone will be harder to approximate if the bobbins are the wrong size to start with.

^ and the Fender ones are also a bar magnet...thats why we call them a PAF style.

Comment

All of the well respected repros I know of are the same size as the originals. Some of the makers of those pickups do make a PAF size version so you can put a set in your SG or 335 or whatever but again all of the well respected WR clones being made today are the same size as the originals.

As for Novak specifically he will rewind your new WRHB's to be more correct but he has been making custom WRHB's that are the right size for a while now.

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                                X