Thoughts on the Dimarzio Dominion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Dimarzio Dominion?

I have a Duncan Distortion in my Strat and love it. But for my other alder guitar, I'm thinking something different. How does the Dom stack up to the DD?

Re: Thoughts on the Dimarzio Dominion?

The Dominion is supposedly a modified Breed bridge while the neck is more PAF pro-ish. The Dominion to me sounds like an updated Dimarzio Super D than a Distortion, a very cool pickup but not as high output as the numbers would lead you to believe. The Dominion has a tighter low end and more of a low mid push compared to the Super D, it is still more than capable for the classic rock thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
      The Dominion is supposedly a modified Breed bridge while the neck is more PAF pro-ish. The Dominion to me sounds like an updated Dimarzio Super D than a Distortion, a very cool pickup but not as high output as the numbers would lead you to believe. The Dominion has a tighter low end and more of a low mid push compared to the Super D, it is still more than capable for the classic rock thing.
      Thanks for the info. I like some high mid crunch, so maybe the Dom isn't for this guitar. Its also a 24 scale, so its not as bright. I havn't tried the Black Winter, Gravity Storm or Crunchlab yet, I guess I'll research them some.

Comment

I had the Dominion set and it didnt have enough high end energy for me. I switched to the custom and BAM. Still a great pickup just not in that guitar for that purpose(drop C)

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
          Thanks for the info. I like some high mid crunch, so maybe the Dom isn't for this guitar. Its also a 24 scale, so its not as bright. I havn't tried the Black Winter, Gravity Storm or Crunchlab yet, I guess I'll research them some.
          If you are looking for high mid crunch forget the Gravity Storm, I have that set in one of my guitars and it is a lot of lows and low mids with a rolled back high end. They sound great but are more modern sounding, given that it is a Steve Vai sig pickup it is kind of expected.

Comment

Thanks guys. Guess I'll either try the EVO 2, or just get another Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gplayerzzz View Post
              Thanks guys. Guess I'll either try the EVO 2, or just get another Distortion.
              You could also try an Evolution neck. They're available F-Spaced, and make a great bridge pickup.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
              X