banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim Wagner Pickups HOT P-90 in da hizzle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Wagner Pickups HOT P-90 in da hizzle!

As some would know, I'm a big fan of Jim's Ironman Humbucker. When I found out he semi secretly winds his G-90 (P 90 wound like his Godwood) like an Ironman to 22K... I had to try it out. I'm VERY glad I did!

I like my stock P-90s in my Gibson, to me they're among the best of the regular winds out there. I tried another boutique wind and I didn't much gel with it. Some say that a true P-90 has more single coil zing and all, but all I heard was thin weak brittleness. I liked the girth of the stock better, so I figured I can't loose going nuts with a 22K lol.

The I-90 (as I like to call it) is not as hot and nuts as you would be led to believe. Yes it punches the amp and breaks up, but it still has that P-90 growl and definition and rude-ness and still sounds open and like a P-90 should. The kicker is when you fuzz it up or punch in an overdrive, the gain just melds together and stays clear yet full and doesn't get mushy and lack that bottom end that some singles can. No ice pick and no annoying brittle breakup stuff.

One thing that I thought was weird, was all the P-90s I've tried really did not clean up well with the volume knob like my humbuckers. I thought it was strange, but I am used to Jim's pickups and his are exceptional at cleaning up with the volume knob, so I just didn't sweat it. This one cleans up just as good as his buckers do and to me that's a HUGE plus. I use single channel amps and only use my volume for cleans! The neck pickup (stock gibson at around 8K) is horrible at cleaning up in contrast... kinda weird.

Low gain tones are great for anything really.... I spent an hour just jamming to some SRV and ZZtop on Pandora. Really happy that it's not just a metal beast.

I know a lot of people prefer vintage correct winds and all, but there are a few that like to be deviant like me (IZZO!!!) so I thought ya'll may appreciate to hear about something outside the box!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Re: Jim Wagner Pickups HOT P-90 in da hizzle!

what gauge wire?

sounds like my custom P90 in my SG Jr. from Iconix Pickups.

it's 22k with 45g wire with 2 A8 mags.

Comment

Re: Jim Wagner Pickups HOT P-90 in da hizzle!

I have no idea what gage wire. I think it's a5 mags too. Killer killer pickup. Glad to see another hot pickup user!
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
      X