capacitors in series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capacitors in series

Hi, I recently wired up my strat with 2 qp flats and a 59 custom hybrid. I used a super switch and 1 concentric 500/250k pot. And one push pull pot. This way I could have independent vol on singles and humbucker, coil tap, master tone and still remove pesky vol knob from under the humbucker.

After staring at it for hours I got it so that in pos 3 it was neck/ bridge rather than just the middle. Every thing works as planned except one draw back. It's not a deal breaker but I just want some opinions. When in the pos pairing humbucker and singles there is slight reaction when using separate vol. My guess is bc they aren't truly isolated. If I use a capacitor between the pickups and the switch can u isolate them w/o effecting the tone?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Re: capacitors in series

O yea, my intention is to be able to blend out individual pickups in the notch pos which I've already done. It's just not perfect yet.

Comment

No, capacitors can be used for decoupling of DC, not AC (which your guitar signal is). There's always going to be some interaction with the volumes, unless you were to put in active circuitry that actually isolated the pickups. One solution I used when I coupled humbuckers and singles was using a single 500K volume control, then using a 510K ohm resistor from the hot of the singles to ground, so that they "see" a ~250K load from the volume control, and the bucker still "sees" 500K. To match volumes between pickups, you need to adjust pickup heights, possibly switch magnets on the bucker to drop its output. There are other less orthodox solutions, like wiring in a set voltage divider on the humbucker, but that's a big compromise that probably wouldn't net you what you want.
      Last edited by trevorus; 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

In a passive guitar you can't mix without heavy drawbacks.

If you connect the pots forward (like in a Les Paul) then you disable both when turning down one pot.

If you connect the pots backwards (like in a Jazz Bass) then using any of the pots at any value not 0% or 100% will kill the amplitude of the resonance peak of both pickups.

In addition to that both solutions don't just mix, they combine the electrical properties of the pickups and the frequency of the resonance peak goes up.

Comment

That's a good idea basically like that suhr diagram

Comment

Working...
          X