General Consensus on burstbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Consensus on burstbuckers?

Bottom line is that the BB1, 2, 3's are a righteous run of pups. Preferences there are a matter of taste.

Still, I'll take a Duncan any day, and twice on gigs.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Still, I'll take a Duncan any day, and twice on gigs.
      yup. best pickups around..

Comment

Anyone compare the Livebuckers to burst buckers?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I really like the 1 and 2 set. To me, they're exactly what they were designed to be.....a recreation of a Gibson PAF.
          Since none of us are really wheelin and dealin in 50's pickups, the BB 1&2 may as well be considered that set.
          Consider the 57 Classics as a same set, different year, so to speak.

Basically, I like the Duncan pickups that skirt around Gibson's finest, so I can choose to think of all of them as viable options.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hey Erik,
            Can you enlighten me? I just got mine and I go for that Robben Ford/Dumble tone vibe when I play LP's. Can you share you settings as a starting point? First thing I noticed was that the BB3 was really set high. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet beyond just playing yesterday.
            Thanks Man!
            *Also gonna cover the PUP's.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            I like the bb3. A buddy of mine has a LP Trad Pro I with it in the bridge (stock). It ca be harsh and thin as mentioned but once the guitar is set up right and the pickup adjusted (poles includes), it sounds big and full. He was fighting it and it did sound thin, until I got a hold of the guitar and set it up. Once the guitar was singing unplugged, a few adjustments on the pickup made it sound 100% better. Now he loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbear View Post
              Hey Erik,
              Can you enlighten me? I just got mine and I go for that Robben Ford/Dumble tone vibe when I play LP's. Can you share you settings as a starting point? First thing I noticed was that the BB3 was really set high. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet beyond just playing yesterday.
              Thanks Man!
              I'm not Erik, but as a Robben fan that plays several of his songs, the BB3 is not the 1st p'up it comes to mind... the BB2 comes a lot closer.

Anyway, using a Blackface, set the lows @ 2.5, the mids @ 3, and the highs @ 5.

A LP with a A3/UOA5 modded '59 set will get you dangerously close to his base tone. Add a Hermida Zendrive to the equation and you're all set.

The rest is in your fingers. Enjoy!

HTH,
              Last edited by LtKojak; 12-16-2013, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Loves me some 1/2, and like the 3. I have had the 1/2 in a few guitars and they never fail to deliver the goods. They are super sensitive for setup though and can take some tweak time.

Pros really depend on the individual guitar. In general I would not choose them over a slew of other options, but I have played them in a few righteous wood paulas and there was no way I would change them if I owned the guitar.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Here is an oldie but a goody on this:

Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by jbear View Post
                    Hey Erik,
                    Thanks Man!
                    It has been a few years since I did the set up on it. He told me the other night at a party that it still plays great. Move the pickup away from the strings some. It might be too close. Adjust the screw poles too. If it's too harsh, lower the treble side poles a bit. I like to set them to match the string radius first with the high and low E poles set so only the "dome" of the screw is seen, not the flat sides of the head and then adjust the others accordingly with the string radius. Then I use my ears and adjust to taste.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 12-17-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      I was playing it today A/B-ing with a 95 Studio. The Studio has the 490/498's, 500 pots, and a .015/.022 PIO set...I had to turn the Trad to 7 to get the same vol as the Studio on 4.5 and the Studio had much tighter deeper bass and low mids. The touch on the Studio when I fingerpick is brilliant...I'd like that sort of response from the Trad. I hope can tweak it there...not deciding anything after one session. The tone was killer on both guitars, but...I am wondering if a PUP swap may be down the line. I have several sets around including a Peter Florance Voodoo 59's (couldn't split those), an old pair of Duncan double-screw 59's (also...no split), and a pair of Dominger Classic 58's (split-able...know nothing about them).
                      Anyway...despite the opinions of some...I am putting .015/.022 PIO's in it and we shall see from there.
                      BTW...I was using Twin and a Sonic Fusion OD playing mostly Ford covers and some free-style blues.

Comment

Change caps all you want, but that won't do much aside from a difference in value. Stock caps are .022uf, I believe.

Cap type matters little in a passive tone circuit. Some say they can hear a difference. I've done the test and can't hear it. Several others on the board did the same and can't hear it either. The value is what matters. But I digress.

First thing you should do is swap the volume pots for 500k in the Trad Pro.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 12-17-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          Change caps all you want, but that won't do much aside from a difference in value. Stock caps are .022uf, I believe.

Cap type matters little in a passive tone circuit. Some say they can hear a difference. I've done the test and can't hear it. Several others on the board did the same and can't hear it either. The value is what matters. But I digress.

First thing you should do is swap the volume pots for 500k in the Trad Pro.
                          +1. Trad Pros have '57's and need 500K's, as they can often have a rounded high-end. And yes again, caps are a very small part of the tone equation, not the place to focus. It's a diversion from your real tone issues.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The Trad Pro has stock 500k vol and tone pots. The '12 has a 57 and a BB3.
                            I know that the Studio that I used to have sounded like dookie (it played nice)...this one is golden. The only difference is the caps on this one.
                            I know there are a ton of factors...but...why not? I have the caps and it's easy.

Comment

My mistake. I forgot that they are 500K all around from the factory.

Go ahead and change the caps, but type matters little, as I said. It's the value. .015uf on the neck should be nice. I like .022uf in general but if you want it to be not as dark when rolling it off, then .015 is a nice option.

Comment

Working...
                              X