X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unchained by Van Halen

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    ???

I thought the button threw the box into script mode. If you want the setting you need script mode AND to turn the knob....

And plug into a crate amp, a Hot Rod deluxe, or an Orange tiny terror with a Strat and you won't get that sound.

And my Berhinger does just fine for that sound.
    There is no script mode button on the EVH Flanger. You're thinking of the Phase 90.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      There is no script mode button on the EVH Flanger. You're thinking of the Phase 90.
      Not a script button, but an EVH button. Official description from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-halen-flanger

This updated model comes with the EVH Switch, which instantly calls up Eddie's "Unchained" sound with the exact settings used to get the original guitar tone.

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
        Not a script button, but an EVH button. Official description from http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-halen-flanger

This updated model comes with the EVH Switch, which instantly calls up Eddie's "Unchained" sound with the exact settings used to get the original guitar tone.
        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
          EVH used a specific guitar for that song live. I don't remember which pickup was in it, but I could look that up later today. May have been a Super Distortion or a Mighty Mite, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
          OK, I've poked around a bit and it seems that he was using a DiMarzio Super Distortion in a few guitars back then, seemingly before a Custom Custom ended up in Franky and 5150.
          Nope...

Comment

Not a Dunc Dist.

Ed had a treble bleed mod on his pot in his Frankenstein so he gets harsh but spanky cleans when he rolls back the volume ("tone") pot.

Personally, I've often speculated that his tubes were getting tired or super stressed out on that song: it's much less punchy than the rest of the songs on that album. In otherwords, more soundwaves are being negated.
            Maybe he did Unchained after doing the over over over driven intro to Mean Streets.
            Mind you, there's no distortion channel or pedal involved, yet because he snuck in with Donn Landee late at night to get a better sound, he got a punchier guitar tone than VH1 or W&CFirst.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••
            4 hb (80's rawk) comparison (PG8-DSD-Ant-JB)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CCULONDTzI
            VAN HALEN gtr tone: 10 Cheats
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcaTtAFnpWE
            Dunc Dist Demo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWbO7NvEpk0

Comment

Most people try to go for the VH1 guitar tone, but as for me, I'd much rather try to chase the tone on Fair Warning. It was far more punchier and more colorful IMO. It had this warmth and body to it that no other VH album has been able to capture since.

Comment

I'd be the used a Les Paul on Unchained
                When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Haha, we haven't had an EVH pup thread for a while.

I don't know why people obsess about the pup (mystique b.s. aside) - the amp and fx are more influential in getting the right tone.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

super interesting stuff. I too love the tones of fair warning far more than vh1, but was surprised to see some say the sh-11 was used on that album. I had bought one before I knew that as I thought it was the best fit for my guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
                      Most people try to go for the VH1 guitar tone, but as for me, I'd much rather try to chase the tone on Fair Warning. It was far more punchier and more colorful IMO. It had this warmth and body to it that no other VH album has been able to capture since.
                      That's the difference between a 59/PAF and a Custom Custom.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X