banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you give me advice for choosing pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you give me advice for choosing pickup?

Hello everyone. This is my first thread.
    I have a Carvin HH2 guitar. its semi hollow but without sound holes. alder body with birch top. and maple neck with ebony fretboard and its loaded with two humbuckers. I want to get a warm sustained sound from bridge pickup and nice jazzy clean sounds from neck pickup and some strat sounds when pickups are coiled. I dont know if i want too much but. I want to take your advices. which models do you suggest ?
    thanks

Re: can you give me advice for choosing pickup?

Look into the Seth Lovers with a 4 conductor mod
    -IM

Comment

thank you very much i will...

Comment

Seth Lovers, A2pros, Pearly Gates, 59, and JAzz would all work fine. I'd recommend them all in that order first being the best.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I'm going to say 59's, Seths, PG's, A2P's in that order. These are all classic PAF variations. The 59's are middle of the road, the A2P are fat/round, the PG's are bright. The Seths are classic mellow. The Seths may not be the best for splitting - but not my area of expertise.

The Jazz are a more modern style, but still reasonable. Just a different sound.

What music are you playing and with what amp?

And welcome!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I play mostly fusion stuff and sometimes i use clean jazz tones with neck pickup. Im using axe fx II with matrix poweramp into matrix nl12 cab. Im thinking about A2P neck with CC bridge. what do you think ? and thanks for your reply

Comment

Welcome to the board. A2P/CC combo would work good. If you want more heat the jazz neck and JB bridge would sound good in that guitar. that would be my recomendation

Comment

I don't have any experience with a CC in the bridge. I can tell you that the Jazz is a favorite of mine in the neck. I have one in a Les Paul and in a Tele Deluxe and love it in both. As for bridge, if vintage PAF vibe is what you are after, PG or '59 may be your best bet. I personally love the distortion in my les paul. I am waiting on a '59/Custom Hybrid for my tele deluxe. With fusion/jazz it may be the right marriage of old and new for your rig.

Oh, and the Whole Lotta Humbucker set is amazing. Again, I have that set in a les paul. Mind you, my frame of reference is primarily solid bodies, but I had an Epiphone Dot Studio for quite some time and the Jazz was in the neck the entire time I owned it.

Comment

CC would work great.

Comment

Originally posted by omersenler View Post
                      I want to get a warm sustained sound from bridge pickup and nice jazzy clean sounds from neck pickup
                      For the neck, you'd probably want an PU with an A2 magnet (lots of mids, not much treble). An A2P, PG, or Seth would be good for a jazz sound (the 'Jazz' PU has an A5 magnet is is pretty bright and clear, don't know if that's the direction you want to go).

For a warm, sustained sound on the bridge, again something with an A2 magnet. CC's are overwound and would give more sustain. An A2P or Seth would be warm, but they're not wound as hot.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thank you for everyone. I've just placed my order, one A2P for neck and one CC for bridge. I will share details soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X