Brand New 59/Custom Hybrid Very Microphonic - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New 59/Custom Hybrid Very Microphonic - HELP

...I waited to install it, so I'm just a few days over the 21-day exchange. I reached out to Seymour to see if I can still exchange it, but not word yet.

Basically, my tech installed the pickup in an H-H tele (Schecter PT). On every amp I've played through it, overdriven channels even with just light gain, the pickup just howls entirely. Its either the pickup or something he did in the installation; however, he is a very pro tech with years of experience and some pretty notable guitarists for clients. I can't imagine he messed it up somehow, but people make mistakes.

Thoughts?

Re: Brand New 59/Custom Hybrid Very Microphonic - HELP

How easily does the pickup move around? Maybe there's not enough pressure being exerted upon it from the springs.

Also, is that the PT with the Tele humbucker bridge? Tele bridges like to ring if they're not flush to the body and tight with good pressure between the pickup and bridge plate. Make sure the mounting screws for the bridge are tight and that it's not lifted off the body because of something underneath it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Comment

does it have a cover on it? if the cover is not on all the way and there is too much space between the cover and the pickup you can get feedback issues

Comment

Hey, it's the PT Standard with H-H configuration. I'll ask my tech to double check that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          does it have a cover on it? if the cover is not on all the way and there is too much space between the cover and the pickup you can get feedback issues
          No pickup cover. Thanks!!

Comment

Bump. Any other ideas or experiences to share?

Comment

I'd also say that something is loose, which could be remedied by tightening the screws which hold the coils to the baseplate or even repotting.

GilmourD's suggestion is also a good one.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread...I replaced the 59/Custom Hybrid with an TB-5 Custom and I"M HAVING THE SAME EFFING PROBLEM!!!

These pickups are wax potted, so it HAS to be something else. My other guitars with similarly hot pups are not doing this with my setup. It's THIS guitar only.

So I need to check the following:

1) Firm bridge base plate - I checked this morning and it appears flush. I cant put a pick underneath it or anything.

2) Springs - what do I need to do to check the springs? What about surgical tubing? I've read this has helped with some guys.

3) Screws - I've read that screws can also be an issue?

4) Foam or cotton around the perimeter of the pickup to keep it tight - I read this helped one guy on a Tele forum.

Thoughts? Suggestions? HELP!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                  Resurrecting this thread...I replaced the 59/Custom Hybrid with an TB-5 Custom and I"M HAVING THE SAME EFFING PROBLEM!!!

These pickups are wax potted, so it HAS to be something else. My other guitars with similarly hot pups are not doing this with my setup. It's THIS guitar only.

So I need to check the following:

1) Firm bridge base plate - I checked this morning and it appears flush. I cant put a pick underneath it or anything.

2) Springs - what do I need to do to check the springs? What about surgical tubing? I've read this has helped with some guys.

3) Screws - I've read that screws can also be an issue?

4) Foam or cotton around the perimeter of the pickup to keep it tight - I read this helped one guy on a Tele forum.

Thoughts? Suggestions? HELP!!!
                  Surgical tubing and foam to fil potential resonant cavities are good solutions.

The 4 screws holding the coils through the baseplate must be firmly locked, FWIW.

Also: slugs touching the baseplate can cause squeal. A piece of adhesive tape in between (and under the mag, if neeeded) is a way to prevent such an issue.
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                    Surgical tubing and foam to fil potential resonant cavities are good solutions.

The 4 screws holding the coils through the baseplate must be firmly locked, FWIW.

Also: slugs touching the baseplate can cause squeal. A piece of adhesive tape in between (and under the mag, if neeeded) is a way to prevent such an issue.
                    OK, I want to try this. I've sunk so much money into this guitar and my two luthiers didn't catch it when it left their shop, because they weren't testing it through mid-high gain amps at gig levels.

Is there somewhere I can get a demonstration on how to install the surgical tubing and also fill the cavity with foam rubber?

How do I check if the 4 screws holding the coils through the base plate are firmly locked?

For doing the adhesive tape mod in between and under the mag, how do I do this?

...And can I do all of this myself without having to unsolder the pickup? Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                      OK, I want to try this. I've sunk so much money into this guitar and my two luthiers didn't catch it when it left their shop, because they weren't testing it through mid-high gain amps at gig levels.

Is there somewhere I can get a demonstration on how to install the surgical tubing and also fill the cavity with foam rubber?
                      Put the screws in the holes of the pickup frame. From under, push the tube around the screws. Then screw the pickup itself. It's easier to do than with springs, IME, because tubing holds naturally around the screws.

How do I check if the 4 screws holding the coils through the base plate are firmly locked?
                      Just put your screwdriver in each of the 4 screwheads and screw clockwise (gently, in order to avoid any stripping of the holes in the coils).

For doing the adhesive tape mod in between and under the mag, how do I do this?

...And can I do all of this myself without having to unsolder the pickup? Thanks!!
                      It requires to unscrew and pull off the baseplate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	5776272

If you don't want to do that, there's a simpler solution: UNscrew the 4 screws under the baseplate. Hold the whole pickup in your hand because its coils are now separated from the baseplate... From the side of the PU were there's no wires, Slip gently a thin foil of rigid celluloid under the magnet and/or slugs. Put back the 4 screws in the coils,through the baseplate and through the cellluloid (it should autoscrew and perfore the foil easily).

Here is how I pull off and put back a keeper bar, for example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	5776273

The same can be done with a foil of celluloid cut at the right size and slipping under the mag/slugs.

FYI: in such case, adhesive tape or celluloid work a bit like the varnish that some winders put between baseplate and magnets, or like the glue that some other makers use to avoid magnet vibration by sticking it on the baseplate.

If've done such things in various occasions. No problem if it's done gently and if the PU is not totally stuck by wax potting.
                      Last edited by freefrog; 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM.
                      Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Sounds like a simple cold solder on a ground. Or no ground to bridge. This will raise all kinds of havok. Check solders are somewhat shiny not toally dull color and especially check jack connections for this. Pup can be installed perfectly but one bad ground and well i think u see what happens. Is so simply reheat cold solder again. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Does not seem to be a microphonic pickup problem or a cold solder joint to me.

You have a Tele style bridge with the HB route in it, yes? No matter how firm it seems, its possible the bridge plate is vibrating like a diving board. The quick diagnosis for this, and/or whether you'll benefit from foam in the cavity is to press down on the plate with your finger tips while its feeding back. Now press down on the humbucker itself. It's only the bridge pickup that feeds back, right? There's your clue.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                            Put the screws in the holes of the pickup frame. From under, push the tube around the screws. Then screw the pickup itself. It's easier to do than with springs, IME, because tubing holds naturally around the screws.

Just put your screwdriver in each of the 4 screwheads and screw clockwise (gently, in order to avoid any stripping of the holes in the coils).

It requires to unscrew and pull off the baseplate:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51478[/ATTACH]

If you don't want to do that, there's a simpler solution: UNscrew the 4 screws under the baseplate. Hold the whole pickup in your hand because its coils are now separated from the baseplate... From the side of the PU were there's no wires, Slip gently a thin foil of rigid celluloid under the magnet and/or slugs. Put back the 4 screws in the coils,through the baseplate and through the cellluloid (it should autoscrew and perfore the foil easily).

Here is how I pull off and put back a keeper bar, for example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51479[/ATTACH]

The same can be done with a foil of celluloid cut at the right size and slipping under the mag/slugs.

FYI: in such case, adhesive tape or celluloid work a bit like the varnish that some winders put between baseplate and magnets, or like the glue that some other makers use to avoid magnet vibration by sticking it on the baseplate.

If've done such things in various occasions. No problem if it's done gently and if the PU is not totally stuck by wax potting.
                            I have a Schecter PT like this one below...So I presume I'll have to pull off my strings, and pull the bridge plate off to access my pickup:

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                              How easily does the pickup move around? Maybe there's not enough pressure being exerted upon it from the springs.

Also, is that the PT with the Tele humbucker bridge? Tele bridges like to ring if they're not flush to the body and tight with good pressure between the pickup and bridge plate. Make sure the mounting screws for the bridge are tight and that it's not lifted off the body because of something underneath it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                              Going to quote myself here because in my experience with Teles of all sorts this is your problem.
                              Nope...

Comment

Working...
                              X