Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alder and Ebony

Hi Folks,

Ive just picked up an used Washburn N4. It has an alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard. Its a great guitar and plays well.

I just dont like the stock L500 bridge pick up - way too bright/ harsh. I like the 'SD 59 in the neck though.

Any thoughts on a SD pick up to replace the bridge pick up? Ive hear good things about the SD Custom Custom for this combination of woods....

I play 80's rock/ metal.

Re: Alder and Ebony

For 80s stuff? Either the JB or the Custom Custom should work wonders.

Comment

My #1 is made of the same woods. I have a 59/C in the bridge and love it, very versatile.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
        My #1 is made of the same woods. I have a 59/C in the bridge and love it, very versatile.
        '59/Custom is pretty bright, I think the OP wants to get some warmth. A CC is ideal for bright-toned woods.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Alder + butt rock = JB.....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
            Alder + butt rock = JB.....
            'Butt rock'? Is this a new genra?
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              '59/Custom is pretty bright, I think the OP wants to get some warmth. A CC is ideal for bright-toned woods.
              Hmm, I'd say crisp yes but not that bright. I suppose with the somewhat floating Ibanez Edge trem on my #1, the attack is softer, so the overall timbre is a bit rounder. I had one for a bit in my hardtailed guitar and the effect was similar. Depends on the overall rig as well.

A CC is a good option too.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Thanks for the input folks. Looks like the CC and JB are contenders for 'butt rock' tones. Lol.
                Anything else I should consider?

Comment

Yeah consider the Alternative 8. Slightly rounder highs than the JB, more shouting, modern tone in the midrange, plenty of output to dial in the balance of sustain and power you want with pickup height.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                    Yeah consider the Alternative 8. Slightly rounder highs than the JB, more shouting, modern tone in the midrange, plenty of output to dial in the balance of sustain and power you want with pickup height.
                    Good call.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X