Just spent a couple hours researching (Wilde) Bill Lawrence Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just spent a couple hours researching (Wilde) Bill Lawrence Pickups

This man was a F#$%ing genius when it came to building pickups. I knew who he was but never knew much about him and his work or pups except that Dime Bag and Nuno Bettencourt used his L-500XL model. From what I've read about his pups from various sources they are the clearest, most dynamic, wide frequency pickups around which also explains why some might not like his pups because they are so clear and dynamic and pickup everything you do and don't do. I now want to try some of his line specifically his Microcoils and the L-500 and the L-90.

From what I gather his pickups give a transparency to let other factors color the signal such as pedals, amps, capacitors, resistors, speakers, wood and etc...
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Just spent a couple hours researching (Wilde) Bill Lawrence Pickups

Yup.
    Also- Forget about reverse engineering a Bill & Becky. lol
    PC

Comment

The L500XL is my fav passive pup ever, and I'm constantly on the lookout for them on the used market. I have only owned one L500L and that was a few years ago, but Ive been wanting to grab another one to really give it a go in my next project. Considering that they are reasonably priced I may just order up an L500L, and a few L45 single coils.
      The only bad thing I have to say about them kind of coincides with the post prior to mine, in regards to it being nearly impossible to tear them down to swap the magnets.
      The only reason Id want to do that would be to try a ceramic magnet, or perhaps an A8 or A9, because the L500 series feature an A5 magnet from the factory. Im very pleased with them as is, but I guess Im one to never leave well enough alone...haha
      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

The L90 is amazing.

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Ive never tried one of those either. That's a singe coil, correct? Does it feature poles, or blades?
          87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            Ive never tried one of those either. That's a singe coil, correct? Does it feature poles, or blades?
            Nope it's a bucker but has corner edges instead of curved like the 500. From what I've read it's a bit hotter than a PAF but better then a PAF in terms of clarity and definition. It's not as loud and doesn't bite like a 500 would but many people use a L-90 in the neck and a L-500 in the bridge.
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Right on man, I got ya. Thanks
              Are you planning on grabbing some Lawrences for your guitar, or a project...

Comment

Right on man, I got ya. Thanks
                Are you planning on grabbing some Lawrences for your guitar, or a project...
                After doing much research on Bill and his pups I'm looking at which ones would make for a good H-S-H set up in my super strat. I'm looking at maybe a L-500 in the bridge a L-90 in the neck but not sure on the single for the middle yet. The thing about his pups is that he measures in Henries and not MV.

If I had a true SSS strat I would be inclined to try his Microcoil strat pups.

Comment

Where the hell were you guys when I posted my "School me on the Wilde L500XL" thread?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                    Where the hell were you guys when I posted my "School me on the Wilde L500XL" thread?!?
                    I was probably breeding my dog and hoping I didn't get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                      After doing much research on Bill and his pups I'm looking at which ones would make for a good H-S-H set up in my super strat. I'm looking at maybe a L-500 in the bridge a L-90 in the neck but not sure on the single for the middle yet. The thing about his pups is that he measures in Henries and not MV.

If I had a true SSS strat I would be inclined to try his Microcoil strat pups.
                      You could try shooting Becky an email to ask her. Or if you don't mind mixing and matching diff brands, you could try a Seymour Hotrails...atleast you'd have blades...Id prob go for L45 singles if it were me...

*edit:
                      I just saw you said H-S-H, in that case perhaps Cool Rails, if you were to mix/match, but Id still prob opt for L45's just to keep them all Lawrences...

*edit again:
                      If I remember correctly, some where on the BillnBecky forum, someone listed the output in Kohms, but the only ones I know off hand are:
                      The L-500 comes in four versions:
                      C = 2.8 Henry = 4.5K
                      R = 4.8 Henry = 7.1K
                      L = 6.8 Henry = 11.8K
                      XL = 9.2 Henry = 13.3K
                      Last edited by metalchurch79; 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Call Shannon.
                        PC

Comment

I love Bill & Becky Lawrence pickups! The best combo I had was an L450 neck and L500XL bridge. The L450, which is rehoused in the plastic tub like the L500, is now labeled the Custom series L600. If you like the sound of your guitar unplugged and just want that amplified, Bill's pickups are great. However, if you have a dark guitar that you want brighter, for example, Bill's pickups won't work for you. He's all about transparency in the sense of letting the voice of the guitar come through, colorfree. Some people like that other pickups, like Duncans, impart a specific tone and thus have character. Bill specifically designed his pickups to not change or color your tone.

The only reason Id want to do that would be to try a ceramic magnet, or perhaps an A8 or A9, because the L500 series feature an A5 magnet from the factory. Im very pleased with them as is, but I guess Im one to never leave well enough alone...haha
                          They aren't as difficult to take apart as people think. I have a Dimebucker and L500XL taken apart. The only thing to note is that the magnets are not standard humbucker sized.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                            It was your post that partially led me to spending this whole day reading up on Bill and his pick ups. So at the time no I couldn't "School you" but even now all the knowledge I have is based on internet reviews and sound clips. But to answer your question the L-500XL model assuming your talking about the (Wilde) version is the latest and most powerful humbucker he makes.

This may help as well http://guitarsbyfender.yuku.com/topi...s#.UrOM9qVD7wI
                            You can look over the whole forum about info on his various models but I warn you it can be a bit confusing. Also they don't describe pups in the same way most people do on most forums.

Comment

I edited my above post to include the output readings that we are used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X