banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New custom Agile Les Paul...need new pickups!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New custom Agile Les Paul...need new pickups!!!

Hey guys!

I just got my new Agile custom shop AL-3200 (Les paul) in! It is gorgeous, and I love it to death.

This guitar is 11 pounds of solid mahogany. Ebony fretboard. The guitar comes with a set of warm, traditional alnico 5 pickups. Because of this, this guitar sounds quite dark. The kind of conflicts with the music I like to play (pop punk such as All Time Low, Mayday Parade, A Day To Remember...these guys are a little heavier, The Red Jumpsuit apparatus).

My old AL-2000 les paul had a set of ceramic pickups in it and I loved how sharp of an edge it had.

The sound I am looking for can best be described as punchy and crunchy, not muddy or dark. Right now the sound is dark so I feel maybe the treble needs to be more emphasized? Or the mids? I'm not sure, thats why im asking you guys haha.

Heres a good example of the sound I really wanna get. Listen to the rythm guitar in this video. I want a sound like that, but I also want a pickup that can handle a heavier sound such as the second video i'll post. Let me know what you think. I was thinking an sh6 or sh4 (I think the sh6 may be too nasally, although my dark, heavy mahogany guitar may compensate for that). Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Notice how nice and crunchy that rythym guitar sounds...it's great

Breaking Benjamin latest album DARK BEFORE DAWN featuring the singles “Failure,” “Angels Fall,” and “Ashes of Eden” is available now!Apple: http://smarturl.i...

Go to about 43 seconds to hear the rythym guitar, its a nice deep sound, without getting muddy.

Of course, this is the bridge pickup i am talking about here. Any suggestions for a neck pickup for warm, beautiful leads would be great too! Thanks!

Re: New custom Agile Les Paul...need new pickups!!!

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I'm very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel on the world.
    Last edited by Chunk24; 12-24-2014, 05:51 AM.
    http://www.primarkopeningtimes.net/p...opening-times/

Comment

I would go with the Distortion set.....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
        I would go with the Distortion set.....
        I'll second that. The Distortion has good mids, but I'd never describe it as Nasally. Mids are critical for the crunch.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I'll second that. The Distortion has good mids, but I'd never describe it as Nasally. Mids are critical for the crunch.
          I was thinking about the distortion, but I have heard that the distortion sounds kind of thin. I want a crunchy, less dark sound, but I also want to retain that classic les paul beefiness to the sound. That is one of the reason I got a les paul, because when I play one it just feels so powerful and beefy. I just dont want my guitar to sound do boomy and dark, I want it to have a nice thick crunch to it. Would the distortion do that for me?

Comment

Originally posted by kingneptune117 View Post
            I want it to have a nice thick crunch to it. Would the distortion do that for me?
            Yes. The bright crunch of the Distortion balances perfectly with the thick meatiness of Les Pauls. Should do exactly what you want.

Comment

The Custom (SH-5) is another great choice; high output ceramic that does well in mahogany.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you posted a picture, I couldn't see it. There's a big white square in the middle of your post. Whatever is supposed to be there..... I can't make it out.

That said, does your guitar look like this?

Comment

more specifically to your question, check this out

I found it on SeymourDuncan's high output humbucker page

Comment

What value are the pots?

Comment

I'll second the recommendation for the SH-5 Custom. It's one if the best Les Paul pickups that I have found for hard rock.
                      2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                      2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                      2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Either a Distortion or Custom will do. To get a good crunch I find it's important to set the pup height not to close to the strings and not have too much bass dialed in.
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

My buddy has a couple Agile LP's, one of which is a spalted AL-3200 with a JB in the bridge and it sounds killer.
                          Donnie
                          ---------
                          VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Hey guys!

I just got my new Agile custom shop AL-3200 (Les paul) in! It is gorgeous, and I love it to death.

This guitar is 11 pounds of solid mahogany. Ebony fretboard. The guitar comes with a set of warm, traditional alnico 5 pickups. Because of this, this guitar sounds quite dark. The kind of conflicts with the music I like to play (pop punk such as All Time Low, Mayday Parade, A Day To Remember...these guys are a little heavier, The Red Jumpsuit apparatus).

My old AL-2000 les paul had a set of ceramic pickups in it and I loved how sharp of an edge it had.

The sound I am looking for can best be described as punchy and crunchy, not muddy or dark. Right now the sound is dark so I feel maybe the treble needs to be more emphasized? Or the mids? I'm not sure, thats why im asking you guys haha.

Heres a good example of the sound I really wanna get. Listen to the rythm guitar in this video. I want a sound like that, but I also want a pickup that can handle a heavier sound such as the second video i'll post. Let me know what you think. I was thinking an sh6 or sh4 (I think the sh6 may be too nasally, although my dark, heavy mahogany guitar may compensate for that). Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Breaking Benjamin latest album DARK BEFORE DAWN featuring the singles “Failure,” “Angels Fall,” and “Ashes of Eden” is available now!Apple: http://smarturl.i...

Go to about 43 seconds to hear the rythym guitar, its a nice deep sound, without getting muddy.

Of course, this is the bridge pickup i am talking about here. Any suggestions for a neck pickup for warm, beautiful leads would be great too! Thanks!
                            THAT sounds like EMG (85?)... Which might be in neck, btw.

Remember, music videos' actual tracking doesnt match the video footage
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

For some reason the youtube code doesn't work for me in any browser, on any computer. I have to use the video tags. OT, but does this happen to anyone else?

Comment

Working...
                              X