banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-90 Dog Ear Humbucker....wrong size and doesn't fit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P-90 Dog Ear Humbucker....wrong size and doesn't fit.

Philco, can you post a profile pic of the original P-90 and the one the Custom Shop made up?

I think my 225TD has a1/8" spacer under the neck pickup, and a significantly higher riser for the bridge.

While it is possible the Custom Shop goofed (didn't bend the bottom plate to the right height), they will make it right - as far as making it to the right spec.

However, if the pickup is made to correct P-90 dimensions, then it falls on you and the tech to make it work. Their only responsibility is making the pickup.

My apologies if my "should be vintage correct" came across as a scolding. It's your instrument. I just get grumpy when I see old vintage boxes stripped of their parts, and pieced out on eBay. 90% of the reason someone buys that old box is because of the Old Sound - much easier to get when you've got all the correct parts on it. *grin*

My 225TD was the victim of someone's "This old thing would sound SOOO much better with a DiMarzio PAF in the bridge!" halfassery. Luckily, very little permanent damage was done.
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I'd like to see a picture as I seriously intend to get a "Humbucker under P-90 cover" for my Les Paul JR when I have the funds.......
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
        I'd like to see a picture as I seriously intend to get a "Humbucker under P-90 cover" for my Les Paul JR when I have the funds.......
        I think "Blues" has a '78 P-90 & digs it a lot!!!
        "Scalloped & Stickered"
        A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I'd like to post some photos but I'd have to rip the pickup out and .....well....it's christmas and I really don't have time but just have a look at the SD Stack P90 and then a picture of the SD Humbucker replacement. Different height. It's not going to fit any front pickup on a semi.

Also note.....for those who want this pickup........the pickup screw holes are at the front of the cover whereas a real P90 has the holes in the middle. So your guitar looks kind of....wrong, and anyone who knows guitars will spot the difference in an instant.
          Some people won't mind that. It does look strange to me though.....not a deal breaker.

Comment

I keep reading over this thread and looking at the pics of the pickup the OP has ordered and I can't for the life of me see how it did not fit...

Can someone please explain what is going on here??
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              I keep reading over this thread and looking at the pics of the pickup the OP has ordered and I can't for the life of me see how it did not fit...

Can someone please explain what is going on here??
              Hey Christian, based on the post it seems like the pickup fit fine, just sits too low in the body. Hence the need for a spacer / riser now (such as ES 295, 225 etc.)

Originally posted by Philco
              Also note.....for those who want this pickup........the pickup screw holes are at the front of the cover whereas a real P90 has the holes in the middle. So your guitar looks kind of....wrong, and anyone who knows guitars will spot the difference in an instant.
              Some people won't mind that. It does look strange to me though.....not a deal breaker.
              Philco, but you knew this going in, right? I mean the pictures of this pickup are clear. I personally think it is a cool idea, a sweet looking pickup and a great mod. Something like 59, Antiquity or Seth would be an exciting addition to a single pickup 175. Hope you are enjoying it!

Cheers and respect,

RG
              Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

That I get but how does the original P-90 not need a spacer as well???

Am I missing something??
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

That I get but how does the original P-90 not need a spacer as well???

Am I missing something??
                  Hey Christian, ES-175 with a single neck pickup mounts directly to the top of the laminate body. At least in any I have seen but I have never actually taken one out. Either way, its no higher than the dog-ear pickup cover.

Cheers! RG

Comment

I guess I just need to see it all but what I am seeing online is that the CS SD humbucker in a P-90 housing is the same size as a P-90 so it should just drop in...

Comment

I guess I just need to see it all but what I am seeing online is that the CS SD humbucker in a P-90 housing is the same size as a P-90 so it should just drop in...
                      Sure, it drops in fine. It just sits too low.

Original Gibson 175 P-90

And the SD humbucker under a P-90 cover ( the top of the pickup is lower in relationship to the mounting tabs) or the tabs are too high.

The Stacked P-90 would work great here, but as I said they aren't the same.

Cheers!

RG

Comment

As I've said, my 225 needs a 1/8" spacer under it, to get it up to height at the neck. The bridge spacer is considerably thicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                          Hey Christian, based on the post it seems like the pickup fit fine, just sits too low in the body. Hence the need for a spacer / riser now (such as ES 295, 225 etc.)

Philco, but you knew this going in, right? I mean the pictures of this pickup are clear. I personally think it is a cool idea, a sweet looking pickup and a great mod. Something like 59, Antiquity or Seth would be an exciting addition to a single pickup 175. Hope you are enjoying it!

Cheers and respect,

RG
                          Yes I was aware of that, no issues there at all. I think it would be hard to manufacture a humbucker with the screws going down the middle.
                          Small price to pay for the ability to load a humbucker in there.......some people may not like the look though.
                          Thanks for posting those pics. It's the actual thickness of the pickup stack that is different. The P90 is taller.....even without the cover.
                          I wonder if they could have added a little something under the humbucker to bring it up to the correct height? Then everyone would be satisfied I think.

Comment

Not if it's tight to the cover... Then you would have space between the cover and the baseplate.

Comment

This is a simple fix...

As has been stated in this thread more than once people have used spacers with P-90's for decades in cases where extra height was needed.

That said the SD CS Humbucker under P-90 cover does sit lower overall than a stock P-90 (based on the pics above) so Duncan should say that on their site somewhere.

Comment

This is a simple fix...

As has been stated in this thread more than once people have used spacers with P-90's for decades in cases where extra height was needed.

That said the SD CS Humbucker under P-90 cover does sit lower overall than a stock P-90 (based on the pics above) so Duncan should say that on their site somewhere.
                                Yes I think it's not too much to ask. Just a note saying you will need a spacer.
                                Actually that WOULD have been a deal breaker for me. I would not have purchased the pup had I known that.

Comment

Working...
                                X