New pickups for alder guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups for alder guitar.

I'm in a band after a long time,we play mostly jazz and blues,and at my home I play some low gain classic rock. Picukps on my alder Suhr (H-H) were way to hot for that. I tried few pickups on different guitars,but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. I tried Jazz/JB,59's,Alnico II Pro,DiMarzio 36th PAF's,PRS 57/08 and Gibson Burstbucker Pro. I'm looking for a PAF clones which have this characteristics: good on clean and crunch,good split sound,not mid-scooped,not lot of bass and treble,neck is "singing" when I play solos,bridge not thin sounding on higher frets,Alnico 5,low output.
    I was thinking about: Seth Lover,Pearly Gates,DiMarzio Air Classic and EJ Customs. Anyone has other ideas?

Re: New pickups for alder guitar.

You wrote:

I'm looking for a PAF clones which have this characteristics: good on clean and crunch,good split sound,not mid-scooped,not lot of bass and treble,
    But also wrote:

bridge not thin sounding on higher frets,Alnico 5,low output.
    Alnico 5 in most cases is going to sound more scooped than Alnico 2. Alnico 5 powers the 59.

I would reccomend the Seths or the Air Classics of those you asked about. Both will sing. They both sound excellent but not exactly the same. The Air Classics are A5 but have a warm response and outstanding picking dynamics because of the air design. They are only scooped compared to other Dimarzios.

I'm puzzled by you not liking the Alnico II Pros since they would seem to be just what your looking for. Too polite in alder?

If too polite, then the Pearly Gates are more raw sounding but still Alnico II

Comment

I tried Slash-one,they have "unique" sound which I really don't like. You are talking about regular Alnico II's?

Comment

Try a Pearly Gates set maybe?
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoDad View Post
          I'm in a band after a long time,we play mostly jazz and blues,and at my home I play some low gain classic rock. Picukps on my alder Suhr (H-H) were way to hot for that. I tried few pickups on different guitars,but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. I tried Jazz/JB,59's,Alnico II Pro,DiMarzio 36th PAF's,PRS 57/08 and Gibson Burstbucker Pro. I'm looking for a PAF clones which have this characteristics: good on clean and crunch,good split sound,not mid-scooped,not lot of bass and treble,neck is "singing" when I play solos,bridge not thin sounding on higher frets,Alnico 5,low output.
          I was thinking about: Seth Lover,Pearly Gates,DiMarzio Air Classic and EJ Customs. Anyone has other ideas?
          Is it just me, or are you spending a huge amount of time, cash, and effort to make an alder Suhr sound like a mahogany Gibby w/ maple cap?

Based on your efforts, I'm guessing its just on account of loving the Suhr and not wanting to trade/sell it? Well...Depending on whether you bought used and/or sold pups to recoup your investment, you may have already spent the cost of a perfectly good 90s LP Studio or fancier hiend Japanese Standard/Custom copy.... And, btw, if you still have those pups you tried and rejected, try selling them, adding your latest pickup swap budget, and buying one of the above. Keep the Suhr to do what it does better, and add an affordable good LP for 3-5 bills (NOT a new/recent model, though, the good ones are all far into four digits - but comparable stuff can be had cheaper from 90s gibby studios or 70/80s matsumoku/fujigen/tokai factory brands)
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Oh also take a look at the PATB-3 Blues model. I think that will be right up your alley if you don't mind the unconventional look.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Have you tried the SH-12 Screamin Demon in the bridge? That pickup can really scream but also sounds amazing at lower volumes!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                Try a Pearly Gates set maybe?
                +1 on the Pearly Gates set...Seths, or maybe some Burstbuckers (1and2 not Pros)
                Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Working...
                X