Pickup , Tone and Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup , Tone and Magnets

I would like to know how exactly the magnet material affects the tone of the pickup. A "pickuptologist" friend of mine gave a detailed description
    of the different colors, temperatures and light intensities that each magnet gives to the tone ... but not how.

So ,i was wondering, how is possible that the material or the magnetic field strength could change the tonal properties of the string or the coil impedance .

Re: Pickup , Tone and Magnets

Basically speaking, when a string is played, the vibrations are picked up by the magnetic field which is just above the pickup.

A stronger magnet will have a greater effect over the vibration of the string. A weaker magnet will have less effect.

The grade of the magnetic material may have a higher reception to a higher range of frequencies of the string's vibration.

Once the vibrations are pulled down through the magnetic field the 'colour' of the sound is entirely in the hands of the coils of the wire.

A different string type/material will give you a certain vibration as a certain magnet will give a certain pull thus, a certain coil will give you a certain tone or colour.

After that, it's up to you and your amp to give colour a form, a feel and, if you're good/lucky enough, a record deal.
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

It is magic.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the material the magnet is made from controls the shape and size of the field produced, as well as how much charge the magnet can accept. The position of the string within the field determines the relative mix of frequencies the windings manage to induce.

Comment

The shape, size, strength, and sensitivity of the magnetic field varies depending on what metals are used in it's construction. Different metal blends have different field characteristics. Anytime the magnetic field changes, string movement within that field will be 'read' differently. Stronger magnets (ceramic, A8, A5) tend to 'read' low frequencies better than weaker magnets (A2, A3) and therefore usually produce sounds that have a 'tighter' low-end. A2's are well-known for their 'loose', spongy low-end. Some metal combinations of magnets read high frequencies particularly well (A5), others read mid frequncies better and favor those in the sound they generate (A2, A3, A8).

The internal 'grain' of A2, A3, A4, and UOA5 are unoriented, which gives them a weaker but more complex magnetic field. This produces a rich tone with more 'texture.' Magnets with orientied grain are stronger with better-defined fields. Ceramics are very strong magnets and are sometimes accused of sounding cold and sterile. However, this lack of texture also keeps their sound cleaner under large amounts of distortion and effects.

Almost all magnets in guitar PU's have been polished. Roughcast magnets still have sand indentations, and that gives them a slightly more complex magnetic field, which manifests itself in the higher frequencies and in a slightly smoother high-end.

PU makers take all of this into account when they select a magnet, and plan their wind pattern and tension accordingly. Hobbyists are then able to replace magnets to get different EQ's and output from a PU. This lets them dial in their tone to fit their particular guitar/wood/amp/speaker combination.

In spite of how influential magnets are, they don't change a PU's resistence. An 8K PU is always to be 8K regardless of what magnet is in it. But resistence doesn't tell the whole story of a PU's sound. Magnets can change it's inductance, resonant peak, and output.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by HFWpYMUJoHhWUoft View Post
            A "pickuptologist" friend of mine gave a detailed description
            of the different colors, temperatures and light intensities that each magnet gives to the tone ... but not how.
            Let me guess... some particular substances derived from a fungus were involved, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
            X