banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm. That's different... Help wanted please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm. That's different... Help wanted please!

I've got a Gibson SG 60's Tribute...

I need advice how best to remove the Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups to make room for new pickups.

Should I leave the circuit board intact? The pickups appear to have some kind of plug. Is there a smart/easy way to do this?

... and install new pickups?

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Hmm. That's different... Help wanted please!

another pic...
    Attached Files
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Its yet another quickconnect clone... Clip above the plug solder to the wires, clip below the plug solder to the wires.... Your choice, same diff

Keep PCB unless you go active and/or hate the pots that came with the axe. Its just passive pots. Its been done on some guitars for 40 years (yes, in the early 70s).
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

PS if you can remove the pickup with intact plug (its huge so likely the individual wires pop out...as they do on quickconnects, in fact, since those are just repurposed desktop PC cdrom connectors), it might have value to noobz with other such gibsons & zero soldering experience

Comment

If it were mine, I'd probably ditch all that, install new pots, caps, and switch ($30), then wire it up normal (without the PCB). I'm a bit traditional, though.
          Last edited by Steve R.; 12-23-2013, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
            If it were mine, I'd probably ditch all that, install new pots, caps, and switch ($30), then wire it up normal (without the PCB). I'm a bit traditional, though.
            Dunno your age, but I've got a guitar older than me OR lex (the op) that came with pcb pots... Ditched em but just cause they died of old age.

...Seems pretty prehistoric traditional to me

On a side note, my PCB had a builtin copper shield plate integrated, and no other shielding, so removing them can create additional unexpected hassles sometimes. Mine wasnt a gibby though

Comment

I did it with my SG before we parted ways. The plugs and pins for that can be found online if needed, though not necessarily in small quantities. Unplug the existing pups and remove them - you should have no need to clip the plugs off, they will pass through the wiring channel. Fit the pins to the wires on you new pup, put them into the plug housing and feed them back into position. Plug back in and go. Your biggest challenge will probably be matching the Gibson wire colours to the equivalent on your new pups.
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I'd do what Steve said, keep the quick connect crap together for if you ever sell it.

Comment

Maybe not the PCB removation but plug out the plug and rib out the pins (GENTLY - if it is possible) to get the pickup out.
                  This 4xplug and 2xplug You can find on internet (if the old ones will be destroyed).
                  there should be some grip for pins in this plug - to make it easy
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Best Regards:
                  Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
                  YouTube
                  Blog

Comment

+1 I would start anew

Comment

Working...
                    X