banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accidentally (lol) scored a Fender CS 69 set, good fit for Fender japan 80s basswood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: accidentally (lol) scored a Fender CS 69 set, good fit for Fender japan 80s bassw

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
    I searched for MIJ necks on ebay, and there is a seller in Japan who is selling NOS necks. They are not what I call a bargain, but they are new and moderately old....like mid 90's.
    Mid 90s, wouldnt that be CIJ (different manufacturer)? Plus, at ebay prices...might as well go for an ESP neck then.

Haven't tried doing a setup on a CIJ, but that way an ESP product 20-30 years old just effortlessly nails perfect action with a simple adjustment to accomodate string gauge never fails to amaze. It gets you in 2 minutes to beyond what you could reasonably demand of a Fender product (ymmv) after all possibilities of adjustment are exhausted...if paying a premium anyway, why reinvent the wheel? Might as well get it right the first time.

Dont get me wrong, CIJs are nice - but ESP Vintage Pluses or Mirages just play better. And, since Im not particularly enamoured with their pickup choices or some of their hardware, I'm pretty sure its all about the neck
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Re: accidentally (lol) scored a Fender CS 69 set, good fit for Fender japan 80s bassw

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      I was like "yay, hairmetal! Kthxbye"
      LOL!
      Originally posted by DreX
      Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
      The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
      There's no substance to anything I have posted.
      Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
      I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Why all the dissing on basswood? It's not a bad tonewood. It may not get you the tone you're looking for, but some people would say that about alder, ash, mahogany, korina, pine, or whatever.

Even if the body is basswood, I think those pickups would sound great.
        Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
          Why all the dissing on basswood?

Disses most things
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            Btw, alder means what, Lil Demon territory? Hmmm :-)
            My 2¢: JB jr, custom shop pearly gates for strat or even the YJM Fury bridge. Hmmmm, I'm really liking the sound of that last one. Especially paired with the CS 69s.

Comment

Mid 90's is MIJ as well as CIJ. And they're made the same place I think....just a change in name.

The necks are the best part of the MIJ guitars. Not played an esp in any form, but a setup can be made to be excellent on any neck with a functioning trussrod and an good radiused board
              Last edited by AlexR; 12-25-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                Why all the dissing on basswood? It's not a bad tonewood. It may not get you the tone you're looking for, but some people would say that about alder, ash, mahogany, korina, pine, or whatever.

Basswood has its uses, no dissing thereof as a wood in general... It's just not a "vintage strat tone" wood.

Thus, between an alder Fender body and Fender CS pickups, it turns from "strat shaped parts project" to "authentic fender partscaster strat" territory

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  Mid 90's is MIJ as well as CIJ. And they're made the same place I think....just a change in name.

The necks are the best part of the MIJ guitars. Not played an esp in any form, but a setup can be made to be excellent on any neck with a functioning trussrod and an good radiused board
                  They switched production from FujiGen, the place that made/makes Ibanez Prestige and used to do 80s Fender Japan (Eseries, ST 57/62s, etc), as well as lower spec stuff in the 90s, and marked stuff MIJ, to Tokai and Dyna Gakki in 97, which now stamp stuff CIJ

This switch occurred in '97, but the best stuff out of FujiGen for Fender is considered to be from the 80s...also, since Tokai and Dyna built knockoffs before getting the Fender license (and afaik continued to do so after, lol), I'm assuming they made minor changes to existing Fenderlike designs, rather than retooling and starting from scratch... So, all in all, especially with some of the "Fender Japan parts dont quite fit right" rumors/complaints floating around the web, I'm guessing FujiGen 80s necks will be my best bet and most likely to line right up and satisfy right away

Comment

Working...
                  X