X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noiseless single hum and pop

Hi, guys!

(background info, not the problem)
    I have a PRS SE which had a set of Duncan Distortion(b) and Duncan Jazz(n). A really great and powerful combo for driven sound!
    After a while I decided to install a single in the neck, I've never had singles, so I really wanted to feel the difference myself on my guitar. I've decided that I need pretty hot but noiseless single to pair good with DD. After looking through SD line I wasn't able to find a suitable single - the one that i liked was YJM, but it is pretty low output - I thought DD would overpower it, so I chose Dimarzio Injector.

(the question)
    After installing the pickup I've found that this single is not completely silent (or it's just me, I've never had singles before) and it has hum on overdriven channel. Well, I was ready for that, ok, but there's a really loud pop or click whenever I touch guitar metal parts. I've tried resoldering and removing ground nooses (well, I didn't have them, just checked), it didn't help. I still think it's a grounding problem...

Does anyone have ideas, what's the reason for that?

P.S. I understand that this question should be posted on Dimarzio forum, but it's kind of bleh IMO...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0183.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5831199
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0170.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	5831200

Fat blue on the top is from the jack, fat red from below is from single, black from below is tremolo grounding, dark red & black in the midlle are from the killswitch.

Re: Noiseless single hum and pop

UP!
    Anyone?

Comment

I am not familiar with that DMZ PU. Dos it have 3 or 4 conductor wiring? I only see 2 wires in the pics. This popping dos it happen in all switch positions? Did you change anything else with the wiring when you swopped PUs?
      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

It's 4-conductor (2 were soldered together from the box). The pop sound only appears with neck single included (neck, neck+bridge). No, I didn't change anything other than a pickup.
        Here's the video, you can hear the click sound when I touch strings in the beginning. Moreover, the hum increases significantly when I touch the neck single screws.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Anyways, I've found a solution, hope it'll be helpful for others.
          Dimarzio screws are shorter than SD and in my case they just weren't touching the graphite shielding in the cavity. The baseplate wasn't grounded therefore. So I added the wire from Dimarzio screw to SD's screw - and that's it!

Comment

Working...
          X