Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG SV/SAV/SLV

Hey EMG folks,
    EMG on SD forums is blasphemy, but here goes.

I have a Jackson Dinky set up in an SA/S/81 18 volt configuration with an EXG midrange scooper in place of the tone. I have it tuned D standard and it sounds huge. But the singles leave a bit to be desired. They're clean and okay for a metal single coil sound, but if you're trying to sound vintage with dynamics, they're too sterile in a way that reminds me of hum cancelling passive singles.

(You guys should try an 81 with an EXG if you haven't though--it sounds nice if you prefer moderately saturated, detuned, upper mids crunch through a boosted JCM800 instead of through a Dual Rec. It sounds heavy even out of a $200 Indian made Dinky.)

According to EMG's site, the only difference between the SV and SAV is staggered and flat magnets, yet the specs differ slightly. The SLV is supposed to be a flat version overwound to Lukather's specs.

Originally, I thought the SV was ceramic and the SAV Alnico 5, with the only difference from the SA and S being an underwound vintage wind, but they are both Alnico 5.

So, the point:

If I wanted to build an EMG active axe with more of a vintage sound from the singles, including a higher output middle single that has that semi out of phase RWRP sound, would an SA/SAV/81 work, or some combination of SA(SAV)/SLV/81, with the Lukather pup being the hotter output middle position? I really hate using the same pup twice because I feel like I'm not taking advantage of multiple types of pickups.

I tend to prefer staggered magnets, even on flatter necks. I guess I just feel better knowing the magnets are closer to the strings, especially with active pickups where the magnetic pull is fairly weak.

Thanks so much as always.

Re: EMG SV/SAV/SLV

Remember the SAV having Alnico magnets with the SA preamp...

I've had a SV set - never again.

They did sound great on the single pickup positions. Until you put it next to real singles. The real singles had a lot more bottom end. Whatever I did on the adjustment I could not get anything resembling Strat quack in the combo positions.

Knopfler did do well with the 85 and SA combo with some wiring magic from John Suhr.

You might want to look at Lewguitar's thread on the RWRP middle pickup.
    Last edited by LReese; 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X