Which pickups should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups should I use?

Hi everyone, I have an Ibanez S470 with the mahogany body and i'm looking to replace the pickups. I play aggressive metal so I am looking for a hot pickup that's versatile for the bridge. In the neck I want something that gives me a warm lead tone good for sweeps and arpeggios but doesn't loose the drive usually incorporated in switching to the neck pickup. Also something to consider is the S series guitars are thin so sustain sucks- I would like to do something to help that out as well. Thanks

Re: Which pickups should I use?

Aggressive metal as in Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, or Behemoth. Or like Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy, etc?
    8 String Enthusiast/Hockey Puglist

Comment

Originally posted by StayKruel View Post
      Aggressive metal as in Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, or Behemoth. Or like Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy, etc?
      Most like Children of Bodom

Comment

Black Winters broski. Or a Mayhem (distortion) set.

Comment

Distortion bridge for sure.

Possibly Distortion neck or Pearly Gates neck.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

A Black Winter set.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Distortion Mayhem set, Black Winter set, PATB set. I think Alexi uses Blackouts now so if you want to go active any of the Blackouts will do.

Honestly though the first thing that pop in my head was a Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire set.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                Distortion Mayhem set, Black Winter set, PATB set. I think Alexi uses Blackouts now so if you want to go active any of the Blackouts will do.

Honestly though the first thing that pop in my head was a Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire set.
                Alexi has a signature passive EMG at the moment, he used Blackouts for Blooddrunk then went back to EMG shortly after

Comment

Id go with a Distortion bridge and a JB in the neck. Distortion will give you all the crispity crunchity you need and the JB neck will give you nice fluid leads
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I was looking into the Black Winters , thanks man

Comment

Thanks, I will check those out

Comment

The Black Winters are going to be more brash and aggressive, Distortion is a bit meatier and sorta smoother. Its actually pretty versatile to be honest. I don't care for the Distortion neck myself, I used a Jazz in the neck for awhile that I enjoyed. Also, the Tremonti PRS signature pickup (bridge model at least) just shreds faces.

Comment

you cant get more aggressive than black winters or distortion for aggression. if you want to go active, blackouts will do just fine. I am speaking duncans because I think they are as good as it gets. Sounds like you want black winter neck or full shred neck. Jazz in the neck would work great too. Its very defined and clear sounding and Sounds good under gain

Comment

What tuning and what amp?

Everything that has been mentioned will be fantastic. It's just a matter of taste at this point.

Im gonna throw a few neck PU's at you for fast shreds and arpeggios.

Both the Air Norton and Liquifire are perfect for that.

Actually so is the 59n. Still have to play a Screamin Demon and 59/Custom in the neck...
                            -IM

Comment

I'd say either a Distortion set or a Full Shred set.
                              2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                              2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                              2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Working...
                              X