banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickups that IYHO everybody should try (given a certain music style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups that IYHO everybody should try (given a certain music style)

There's still a lot of blues/rock/jazz players that haven't owned a Seth. For those that are enamoured with '57's and PG's, a Seth may be an eye-opening experience.

On the other hand, if someone's had a Duncan HB, odds are it's a JB. Considering how picky JB's can be in the woods they like, it's definitely not a universal PU. I'd much rather players try other Duncan HB's, especially in mahogany guitars. For some people, if they don't like a particular PU, they won't buy one of that brand again (I know guys like this). Duncan makes an incredible variety of PU's, each one of which will make someone very happy.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you play any type of rock or hard rock, trying the JB and Custom is what I'd recommend.

Comment

Pretty much what people here are saying.

Humbucker:

Seth Lover and/or Pearly Gates Neck
        SH-5 Custom Bridge (yes, the one with ceramic) and/or 59/Custom bridge

Single Coil:

I really wish SD would make the strabro 90 a production model, but the Antiquity II surfer is my second favorite neck single coil.
        Jerry Donahue Bridge. Lew's post makes me curious to try the custom shop version because the production version is about perfect IMO.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Jazz Neck among Humbuckers. If I am not wrong many people still shy away from it because o the name. The humble SSL1s among single coils. I have not tried any tele replacement pups yet.
          sigpic
          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
          JFG Flying V,
          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

JB

If you love that vintage tone, Seth Lover.

If you play Tele, STL-2/STR-2 is heaven.

If you play bass, the Quarter Pound pickups.

Comment

I would definitely agree that for a bridge pickup, everyone should try the JB.

And I agree 100% with uOpt, the Hot Rails are completely under-rated! Very versatile pickups that range from extremely smooth to cranked up screamers.

Comment

BTW, beautiful guitar!

Originally posted by KnifeR View Post
                config JB bridge plus Jazz neck
                in a superstrat just add in between the SSL-4 QP flat or Hot+Rails
                Any style of music
                Sounds really good!!
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]49362[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]49363[/ATTACH]

Comment

Humbucker wise I'd recommend the Jazz for a neck pickup. Great cleans, distorts well and has tons of body to it. As for bridge position, the nicer passive EMGs (like the Alexi signature one) are actually pretty awesome. Its really really sharp and agressive but doesn't sound brittle. BKP Nailbombs are just amazing, played them in a PRS 7 string Private Stock. They could do anything I swear.

I also love the Distortion for anything heavy. It does any sort of rock, metal, thrast, etc. Plus its extremely affordable. Once I put my Black Winters in something i will probably add them to this list too.
                  8 String Enthusiast/Hockey Puglist

Comment

For 80's rock.................................. The JB/Jazz
                    For old PAF tones............................ Seth Set
                    For Old Led Zeppelin....................... Whole Lotta Humbucker
                    For 80's Shred................................Tone Zone / Paf Pro
                    For Early Van Halen........................ CustomCustom
                    For SRV (tuned down 1/2 step)..........Fat 50's or SSL-1's
                    For Early Clapton............................59n
                    For Early Metal...............................Superdistortio n or Duncan Distortion
                    For AC/DC......................................Gibson 498t

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                      BTW, beautiful guitar!
                      I you like it,
                      Just visit my FunPage
                      RazemRock
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Best Regards:
                      Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
                      YouTube
                      Blog

Comment

Might not be the best reply because it is a custom shop pickup, but I would say anyone playing rock oriented music should try the S-Deco. Probably my favourite pickup overall. Reminds me of a Screamin 'demon with a rounder top end and broader mids with a little more heat. Sounds great in a variety of guitars and is also a wind that shines with different magnets.

Comment

I really only know about humbuckers, so i won't go too much into single coil stuff. But I think any one interested in tone and pickup swapping owes it to themselves to at least try a JB, a Super Distortion, an EMG 81 if you like gain, and a PAF styled humbucker (why not an antiquity?) to really get a feel for whats out there. if you have an idea what these pickups sound like in you rig you can at least talk tone here and get an idea for what you want (ie what does a screamin demon sound like compared to a jb etc etc).

personally i love the the JB, the Duncan Distortion, the PAF Pro, the Rio Grande BBQ, and Lollar overwound P90s.
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Custom bridge......wired in parallel......in the neck spot of a Les Paul. Clear and chimey. almost piano-like....

I've recommended it many times on this forum but I don't think anyone has tried it.....
                            Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                            "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I shouldn't have started this thread.

/sighs while editing the ebay snipe list...

Comment

Working...
                              X