banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Forgot How Much a Good Strat Pickup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Forgot How Much a Good Strat Pickup...

Sounds in the neck position of a Telecaster. Yowza!!!

With a bunch of pickguards at my disposal, one is black with a route for a Tele neck pickup. One is black an routed for a minibucker. One, black and routed for a mini and a Strat middle pickup. One is white/black/white and routed for a Tele neck pickup. Oe is a Nashville style and tortoise. The list goes on and on..... I found one that was single ply black that was routed for a Strat pickup in the neck. I thouht, "What the heck..." I found a black cover that came with my Classic Stack Strat neck pickup. I wired it up and thought, "Oh yeah baby..... "

The thing I have always thought about a Tele neck pickup, is that, while they do sound nice, a Strat pickup in the neck sounds punchier, hollower, more open and just livelier. YMMV...

This is what it looks like now...
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: I Forgot How Much a Good Strat Pickup...

so, has anyone put a tele pickup in the neck position of a strat? what would that be like? assuming that you could get a tele neck PU into a strat neck position, how would it sound combined with the the middle PU? or a tele neck PU in the middle position? or a tele bridge in a strat's bridge position?

Comment

I had similar thoughts.. has anyone tried tele pickups in a strat? Or does anyone have a tele with a middle pickup? I think that teles are dead ugly, but I hear more and more good stuff about them..
      Ebay quote :"..Everything was glued together, and I have not had any problem with playability, my tech says it's gonna hold up good.."

Comment

I have used a middle pickup (Strat pickup) in a Tele for as long as I have had Teles.... If you're using a standard Tele pickup setup but have a Strat pickup in the middle, you'll get a decent 2 & 4 positions. If you're using a Strat pickup in the neck and middle positions, you'll do even better. But most people measure their pickup distances by the top of the pickup when Strat's, in fact, are measued at the bottom.

BTW, here's what mine looks like now with the Strat pickup in the neck position.
        Last edited by BS123; 01-22-2005, 06:56 PM.
        -Butch Snyder
        butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
          I have used a middle pickup (Strat pickup) in a Tele for as long as I have had Teles.... If you're using a standard Tele pickup setup but have a Strat pickup in the middle, you'll get a decent 2 & 4 positions. If you're using a Strat pickup in the neck and middle positions, you'll do even better. But most people measure their pickup distances by the top of the pickup when Strat's, in fact, are measued at the bottom.
          I must ask.. what kind of music do you play? Teles are actually starting to sound interesting..
          Ebay quote :"..Everything was glued together, and I have not had any problem with playability, my tech says it's gonna hold up good.."

Comment

you can do anything with a tele, even make it sound like a strat i am glad you are happy with the new sound butch. so what do you have in there now a classic stack strat pickup and a vintage stack tele bridge? are you going to put another classic stack in the middle position?
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Breaking the law
              I think that teles are dead ugly, but I hear more and more good stuff about them..
              Huh, ugly? everyone has different tastes i guess. But the sounds you can get really are unique. there's a reason why so many professional and amateur guitarist use them almost exclusively.
              But what would you consider a really good looking guitar?
              I love the tele look, but second to that i've always loved the shape and finish of Gibson SG's, epecially rare green ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Breaking the law
                I must ask.. what kind of music do you play? Teles are actually starting to sound interesting..
                I play about everything...

Originally posted by mrfjones
                you can do anything with a tele, even make it sound like a strat i am glad you are happy with the new sound butch. so what do you have in there now a classic stack strat pickup and a vintage stack tele bridge? are you going to put another classic stack in the middle position?
                That's exactly right...You can play anything on them....

Yes, I have a Classic Stack Strat model in the neck and a Vintage Stack in the bridge. I could think of better pickups to use; but I really need noiseless pickups. Bardens are out of my price range and I have always trusted Duncans. If, and I say if I put a middle pickup in, it'll be another Classic Stack Strat pickup.
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4
                  Huh, ugly? everyone has different tastes i guess. But the sounds you can get really are unique. there's a reason why so many professional and amateur guitarist use them almost exclusively.
                  But what would you consider a really good looking guitar?
                  I love the tele look, but second to that i've always loved the shape and finish of Gibson SG's, epecially rare green ones.
                  Well, I'm more of a strat man.. I'm getting an epi SG, soon, though.. followed by something.. maybe ESP LTD explorer.. I'd like a guitar to have a bit more... edge than a tele. But you guys are making me considern about getting a tele!

Comment

<quote>I'd like a guitar to have a bit more... edge than a tele. But you guys are making me considern about getting a tele!</quote>
                    I'd suggest getting a 72 Reissue Tele Custom. It is usually black, and has a humbucker in the bridge, and 2 volumes and 2 tone contols w/ a 3 way toggle, so its a lil like a Les Paul kind of config. If money's an issue, buy a Squire Tele custom. Dual 'buckers, same switching as above, and its a lot better for the money than you'd think. people are sometimes pretty down on squire, but this guitar sounds pretty awesome stock, and for only 200$ you could upgrade the hell out of it and still not spend alot.
                    yeah dude, a tele would prolly suit you, even if only to experiment with new sound possibilities.
                    --
                    Fuse

Comment

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear.. I meant bodywise.. not tonewise.. I would love to try a single coiled tele.. a squier would be my choice, since I'm low on cash..

Comment

yeah they have that black and chrome squire tele, the chrome pickguard looks tight.
                        --
                        Fuse

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                          I play about everything...

That's exactly right...You can play anything on them....

Yes, I have a Classic Stack Strat model in the neck and a Vintage Stack in the bridge. I could think of better pickups to use; but I really need noiseless pickups. Bardens are out of my price range and I have always trusted Duncans. If, and I say if I put a middle pickup in, it'll be another Classic Stack Strat pickup.

Man for those of you out there who don't have a tele and are thinking about it, just do it. You won't be disappointed!

I have a strat pickup in the neck position of my tele and it rules! I never liked any of the stock tele neck pickups. Both pickups on together is pure tonal bliss ...

I'm thinking about putting lil 59's in the neck and bridge position of my tele just for fun....
                          Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                          X