This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend me good metal bridge pup for a floyded Ibanez RG

Edit - removed content because it was a secondary issue that i later broke broke out to its own thread
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Full Shred is extremely tight and works well in basswood. By the way, we also do a return/exchange policy you can take advantage of. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/21-day-exchange/

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
        I was playing around some more with the Super Dist and noticed this really odd issue that has me stumped: i can't get nice, strong pinch harmonics on the low E and A strings with this Super Dist. I got them easily even with the old stock pickup. And I can get some nice screamers on the D and G strings, but not the A and E. I've already tried the following to alleviate it: replaced the low E and A with two fresh strings (from a 9 gauge set), raised the pickup height, and increased the gain level.

I ask because I was having second thoughts (I.e. keeping the Super Dist. pickup instead of exchanging it for something else), but this pinch harmonic issue now came up.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue with the Super Dist?

[EDIT] I don't remember doing this, but maybe I raised the action after installing the pup... I'll try lowering it a bit and report back
        i have never had that issue

LOVE that pickup
        -IM

Comment

PATB-2 distortion. It does everything you want and more. Despite being high output, it is very clear, articulate and clean. Great pick up for all those bands (I play much of the same stuff) and it can be very versatile for other styles as well. It almost combines the best attributes of the JB, Custom and Distortion. I have one in my Jackson and it isn't coming out. You won't be disappointed

Comment

Now that I resolved that pinch harmonics issue, I'll re - evaluate the pickup and see if I still feel if there are overbearing high mids there or not. Will report back.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

listen to the guitar and see what it's missing. Basswood I've heard is very balanced so it's entirely up to you what you would want... more bass , more treble. On Ibanez guitars though make sure to get a brass big block I highly recommend them it'll make the guitar sound better. The set of pickups in this prestige my friend had the output was way too low , like 7 or 8k so if that's the case on your pickups I'd swap the bridge pickup asap. Anything 4 wire , anything higher output , just make sure it's F-spaced. why I'd go 4 wire is so you can get more out of the pickups , such as coiltaps , out of phase or anything along those lines. But at the end of the day the guitar talks to you , see what it's missing , there's no straight forward answer... good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallwood13 View Post
                listen to the guitar and see what it's missing. Basswood I've heard is very balanced so it's entirely up to you what you would want... more bass , more treble. On Ibanez guitars though make sure to get a brass big block I highly recommend them it'll make the guitar sound better. The set of pickups in this prestige my friend had the output was way too low , like 7 or 8k so if that's the case on your pickups I'd swap the bridge pickup asap. Anything 4 wire , anything higher output , just make sure it's F-spaced. why I'd go 4 wire is so you can get more out of the pickups , such as coiltaps , out of phase or anything along those lines. But at the end of the day the guitar talks to you , see what it's missing , there's no straight forward answer... good luck.
                Will the brass big block reduce the amount of "reverb" that the stock block naturally produces? That would be nice.

Comment

Also, I am really digging the extra clarity that disconnecting the tone pot gave to each pickup. I briefly reconnected it but thought each pup was too muffled with it connected.

That was a nice find from this whole experience.

Still evaluating whether to keep the Dim. Super Dist. or not. It is an 8 out of 10, but something a little beefier tone-wise would be great. Having trouble finding decent quality audio samples of high gain, riff type playing of Dim. Super 2, Super 3 and Breed.

Comment

Just a final report. I played the guitar for the first time in about a week through my amp and gear, and I decided I like the new Dimarzio Super Distortion enough to keep it. Although the delay in being able to listen to it again is not what I wished to happen (life and work got in the way), I think that span of time in between reviews helped to evaluate the new pup more accurately by having fresh ears. As I had posted earlier, it is definitely leaps and bounds closer to the tight thrash sound I've been chasing compared to the stock Designed By EMG pup, and that disconnection of the tone pot was a huge game changer as well, for BOTH pickups. I think any further improvements in achieving that tone would more likely be achieved by change in speakers, amp, dirt pedal, etc., or actually trying a 1 Meg volume pot and 1 Meg tone pot. But the point is it's pretty damn good as it is now and further chasing is more an option than a necessity. Thanks everyone that provided some helpful input and recommendations.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-14-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X