banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yep! Another one of these "which pickup" threads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep! Another one of these "which pickup" threads...

Ok. I'll make this as painless as possible.

I have two epiphone guitars: a G400 deluxe and an LP std plus both pictured here( I no longer have that amp though): http://www.animephreak.com/~dsulli/g.../g400andlp.jpg

I am a big fan of AC/DC, black sabbath, and play classic to hard rock, and some classic metal (80's at the latest), so i'm not looking for anything active or super powerful like an invader. Both guitars are in need of some serious EMF shielding (thanks epiphone ) and while i'm in there, some new pickups would be nice to get the muddiness out of my LP, and put some more bite in the g400.

For the LP I'm pretty sure it will get Jazz/JB, though i still have a lingering desire for a 59 neck, and for the G400 I'm going for a 59 neck (i use it for more of the classic stuff) and JB OR Custom 5 bridge.

I'm mainly wondering how the Custom 5 compares to the JB, and will its big low end take away from the natural brightness of the SG body style? anyone have any other suggestions?

Re: Yep! Another one of these "which pickup" threads...

For the heck of it.. Try the Gibson Iommi pickup in the G 400s bridge pos..
    Ebay quote :"..Everything was glued together, and I have not had any problem with playability, my tech says it's gonna hold up good.."

Comment

Not for the price I wouldnt try the Iommi for the heck of it... To me Iommi's sound was established long before the signature series pickup was around...

For the G400 I would go for a Rio Grande BBQ bucker... I havent had a C5 in a S/G so I can only make a edjumaguestimation on it... But I doubt very highly it would take anything away from it..
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I say get the Jazz/JB for the Paul, and '59/C5 for the SG. Try out the JB in both, and try out the C5 in both. You may realize the C5 or JB is better in both, or maybe you will hate both of them. Whichever the case, you can always trade them back in for something else.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Hmm... that's a good idea. with the LP though i haven't found anyone who's been disatisfied with a JB in the bridge. I'll have to play it by ear (no pun intended haha). All I know about the custom 5 is that it's supposed to sound like a high output 59 with more bass, and a lot of people i know have loved it for more "vintage" sounding applications as opposed to the JB.

EMF shielding the LP though, that's gonna be a chore. i might just replace ALL of the electronics and use a bunch of foil and shielded wiring.

Comment

Working...
          X