Coil tapping and coil splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil tapping and coil splitting

Do coil tapping single coil pickups give you the option to have higher gain like that of a humbuckers and still have the option to switch back to single coil sound?

Re: Coil tapping and coil splitting

Yep. You can split stacked singles or you can cut the output of a true single if it's high enough and the right kind. You will need a push pull pot to switch back and forth.
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 12-27-2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Not necessarily, because that statement is too general to be true. Coil taps can be wound into any sort of pickup coil for different output levels. It doesn't mean that one is necessarily humbucker-like and the other is necessarily single-coil-like So, just because you purchase a pickup that can be tapped, it doesn't mean it's a high-output pickup as a rule. There are pickups out there that can be tapped from a medium output pickup down to a normal output pickup, or from a normal output pickup down to a low output pickup. There are even pickups with two taps, so you can switch between three different winds, using the same pickup
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        Not necessarily, because that statement is too general to be true. Coil taps can be wound into any sort of pickup coil for different output levels. It doesn't mean that one is necessarily humbucker-like and the other is necessarily single-coil-like So, just because you purchase a pickup that can be tapped, it doesn't mean it's a high-output pickup as a rule. There are pickups out there that can be tapped from a medium output pickup down to a normal output pickup, or from a normal output pickup down to a low output pickup. There are even pickups with two taps, so you can switch between three different winds, using the same pickup
        Duh. I was speaking in generalities to quickly answer his question. A high or medium output is desirable for taps because you don't want to cripple the output of a weak pickup by tapping it... There are ALWAYS exceptions but sometimes it's best to just keep it simple, especially for, people that are just getting into this kind of thing.

Comment

Two things coil tapped singlecoil pickups don't do:

Give you a humbucker tone, only hotter or less hot singlecoil tone.
          Cancel hum. A hotter singlecoil will hum more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            Duh. I was speaking in generalities to quickly answer his question. A high or medium output is desirable for taps because you don't want to cripple the output of a weak pickup by tapping it... There are ALWAYS exceptions but sometimes it's best to just keep it simple, especially for, people that are just getting into this kind of thing.
            I wasn't talking to you.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I wasn't talking to you.
              My bad bro.

Comment

old thema - always the same
                cold taping vs coil spliting
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Best Regards:
                Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
                YouTube
                Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                  My bad bro.
                  That's OK. I was replying directly to the OP, and I hadn't even read what you wrote. Sorry that offended you, but I assure you it was by accident.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

That's OK. I was replying directly to the OP, and I hadn't even read what you wrote. Sorry that offended you, but I assure you it was by accident.
                    Didn't offend, just was clarifying my pov.

Comment

Working...
                    X