Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Demo - Tele with STL-3 / STR-3 Quarter-Pound

Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Video Demo - Tele with STL-3 / STR-3 Quarter-Pound

Great job Rodney, that sounds incredible and will be trying out this set in my Tele soon too.

Comment

I like the sound of that! Great playing!
      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Very nice indeed. You know how to handle the brute. The neck pickup's sound surprises me.
        Last edited by elelpe; 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Sounds very nice indeed
          sigpic
          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
          JFG Flying V,
          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
            Hey brother E, thanks for posting this. I appreciate it~

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
            Great job Rodney, that sounds incredible and will be trying out this set in my Tele soon too.
            Don't do it Scott. I suggest you buy another Tele instead..and then install the set! I am sincere!

Originally posted by J E C View Post
            I like the sound of that! Great playing!
            Cheers, thanks for the good words JEC!

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
            Very nice indeed. You know how to handle the brute. The neck pickup's sound surprises me.
            Thank you bro. The neck surprised me too and is a real gift to my tone box. A real gift. The whole set did. As is, the QP neck is now my favorite traditional Tele neck pickup. I recall a post just 2 weeks ago where I mentioned I use mini-hums and hums in my Teles as I find so many standard covered variety Tele neck pickups to be lacking in character. This demo shifted my perspective of that. I really love the big full, complex sound of this pickup. It matches the mini-hum and hums in my other teles.

It is a really BIG sounding bridge pickup as well, alot of girth and low end energy that overdrives the amp. It was overdriving the input stage a bit unless rolling off the volume. It handles a volume control gracefully and really cleaned up very musically. I have a follow up vid showing how I got the tones in real time and you can hear what I mean. Ill post it soon.

Mostly I wanted to show the pickup in a new way. It so often is recommended for 'Rock', but this QP could be a bonafide SD country and blues ambassador, no doubt.

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
            Sounds very nice indeed
            Thank you Joceyln! I appreciate the listen.

BTW, we have some super cool tones in the que.
            Happy New year!~

RG
            Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

You sold me at the behind the nut bend near the start.

Great tones and playing, and yet again proof that a guitar/pup is only as versatile as the player. I've never owned or played a Tele but have always been impressed with their versatility - set the rig up right and they can sound like a buckered guitar.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

My '74 Telecaster had those pickups in it when I got it. They did sound good! Since the guitar is now 40 years old, I have reinstalled the original pickups.
                Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                Dean: '02 Hardtail
                Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Great tones. My Tele has a quarter pound bridge, but a traditional covered neck pup. Never thought about the 1/4 in the neck as well. Sounds amazing.

The only thing more amazing than the tone of your Tele is your playing. I always appreciate your vids. Great job.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sweet! I've never heard any of Rodney's clips before. If anyone has more links, I'm "all ears", so to speak.

Great licks Rodney. I can't help but wonder . . . I bet an "off-the-shelf" Affinity Squier, would sound similar in your hands. Maybe.

Comment

Thanks Gents! I appreciate the listen and the great feedback!~ Happy New Year.

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                      You sold me at the behind the nut bend near the start.

Great tones and playing, and yet again proof that a guitar/pup is only as versatile as the player. I've never owned or played a Tele but have always been impressed with their versatility - set the rig up right and they can sound like a buckered guitar.
                      Thank you! Hope the teaching is going well for you! Never owned a Tele? Worth looking into. Honestly, just a fun guitar that takes a bit of time to learn how to wrangle..LOL! Sometimes I think it is the best guitar ever made. But then sometimes I want to burn it. Thanks for the listen! Cheers!!

Originally posted by Sprinter View Post
                      My '74 Telecaster had those pickups in it when I got it. They did sound good! Since the guitar is now 40 years old, I have reinstalled the original pickups.
                      Hey Sprinter! Thats great. A stock 74' is a great piece to keep intact. Hopes it sounds great as well! As the old saying goes, so many teles, so little time! Cheers.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Great tones. My Tele has a quarter pound bridge, but a traditional covered neck pup. Never thought about the 1/4 in the neck as well. Sounds amazing.

The only thing more amazing than the tone of your Tele is your playing. I always appreciate your vids. Great job.
                      Gee Doc, thats a great compliment and appreciated. Genuinely and thank you!~ Yes, the QP neck is a sleeper in my experience. Just a really musical and tonally complex pickup for Tele neck. I am still sold on Hums but this is a 'for real' option that I will gladly recommend with confidence for blues and jazz. It was really unexpected, but super cool.

Thanks again, appreciate the listen!

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Sweet! I've never heard any of Rodney's clips before. If anyone has more links, I'm "all ears", so to speak.

Great licks Rodney. I can't help but wonder . . . I bet an "off-the-shelf" Affinity Squier, would sound similar in your hands. Maybe.
                      Thank you Artie! I actually 'wrote' the licks with a pickup demo in mind, so they each are catered to that. Each pickup combination has a strength and certain riffs support those tones and vice-versa. It was a cool challenge.
                      As for the Affinity, well..lets just say I need more support than that LOL. But I appreciate the sentiment. I 'modded' guitars for 20+ years. I am now in a 'excellent build quality as possible' kind of stage. I just want the bulk of excellence and work done for me right from the start including the wood and finish. Pickup changes are always an easy sonic support. I am starting to find my primary enjoyment in the getting better as a player, mods not so much anymore. I hope to see some real progress this year.

Thanks for the listen! Appreciated!

Cheers and respect,

RG
                      Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                        Thank you! Hope the teaching is going well for you! Never owned a Tele? Worth looking into. Honestly, just a fun guitar that takes a bit of time to learn how to wrangle..LOL! Sometimes I think it is the best guitar ever made. But then sometimes I want to burn it. Thanks for the listen! Cheers!!
                        Haven't started yet - it's still winter recess here, so I'm trying to do as much of my own work in the meantime.

I should give one a go one of these days - hard to know where to start, there's so many micro variations out there.

I suppose the only thing I'd change if I were to own one is the bridge - six saddles or three compensated, and shaved off side walls from the bridge plate. Maybe a ballsier neck pup too - I'm used to A5 Strat neck pups. However, I'm intrigued by the old, pre-Broadcaster double Esquires, which had pine bodies and fat necks without a truss rod.
                        Originally posted by dominus
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                          I am starting to find my primary enjoyment in the getting better as a player, mods not so much anymore. I hope to see some real progress this year.
                          That, pretty much, defines my 2014 resolutions. Thanks for bringing me back on track Rodney.

Artie

Comment

^ +1. I think ANY guitar would sound great with Rodney behind it.

Here are a few RG vids...http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y%20Gene&sm=12
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

So at the risk of diverging the topic somewhat, would a transparent differential preamp close the gap a bit?
                              Last edited by LReese; 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X