banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59/Custom hybrid in a mahogany body Super strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom hybrid in a mahogany body Super strat?

I have a 59/Custom trembucker incoming and am trying to decide where it will go.
    The choices are between 2 of my USA Washburn MG's the Swamp Ash build with the Floyd or my 120 with the mahogany body and a Wilkerson.
    Right now the 120 has a Custom 8. Custom custom lacks definition and is too loose here, the Custom 5 lacks mids and will not cut for solos and the PG that came in the guitar was just wimpy and lifeless. Custom 8 works ok but I need some thing a little less aggressive, more open and organic to match with the SSL-1's. I really need a more vintage style tone with this particular guitar as I want to cover a lot of tones and use it as a mate to the PRS Custom 24 on stage. I wonder if the 59/Custom would work well here? I have yet to see anything on some one using one of these in Mahogany body Super strat so---??
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: 59/Custom hybrid in a mahogany body Super strat?

Do it, it will totally work for you.

Comment

Less agressive, definitely. I love the hybrid. Fantastic pickup.
      -IM

Comment

Originally posted by Inder_Cine_Mann View Post
        Less agressive, definitely. I love the hybrid. Fantastic pickup.
        It is indeed fantastic. I've still got one in my Ash/Maple Charvel/KnE mutt.

Comment

Got the TB-16 today and it looks like it will go here with the pair of SSL-1's and the Custom 8 will go to the project guitar.

Keep you posted on how it works out.
          Last edited by Ascension; 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            The choices are between 2 of my USA Washburn MG's the Swamp Ash build with the Floyd or my 120 with the mahogany body and a Wilkerson.

Right now the 120 has a Custom 8. Custom custom lacks definition and is too loose here, the Custom 5 lacks mids and will not cut for solos and the PG that came in the guitar was just wimpy and lifeless. Custom 8 works ok but I need some thing a little less aggressive, more open and organic to match with the SSL-1's.
            The '59/Custom is a bright PU, being a hybrid with a big difference in coils, the A5 magnet, and considering that both parent PU's are bright and scooped. Your mahogany guitar would be a good place for it. Should warm it a bit. It'll still be bright and scooped, with a sharp high-end, but will be more open-sounding than a C8.

The candid observations on your PG could bring the wrath of few members down on you (Gibson175 comes to mind).
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              The '59/Custom is a bright PU, being a hybrid with a big difference in coils, the A5 magnet, and considering that both parent PU's are bright and scooped. Your mahogany guitar would be a good place for it. Should warm it a bit. It'll still be bright and scooped, with a sharp high-end, but will be more open-sounding than a C8.

The candid observations on your PG could bring the wrath of few members down on you (Gibson175 comes to mind).
              Hey I like the PG in a set neck 24.75 scale mahogany guitar with a tuneamatic a lot but in these particular bolt neck 25.5 scale guitars with trems and direct pickup mounting it flat did not work. Grover used a JB in the bridge in the first run from 04- mid 05 then the corporate folks at Washburn ordered the PG in the last year or so those were produced. The change was a mistake as the JB sounded great but the PG in those particular guitars not so much.
              Thanks for the comments guys I am looking forward to doing the swap later this week. Sounds like the TB-16 will be just what I was looking for tone wise for that guitar.
              Last edited by Ascension; 12-30-2013, 11:45 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

Too bright for ash. Perfect for mahogany.

Comment

I have one in my all mahogany Fret King Esprit and it flat out rocks in that guitar. Your mahogany-bodied Washburn is a great place for it.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Hm, I don't find it bright or scooped .

Should match SSL1s great though; mine gets along well with SSL2s.
                    Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                    X