Upgrading a BC Gunslinger retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrading a BC Gunslinger retro

Duncan Distortion? It's what I would do if i were to buy that same guitar...
    Kiesel Aries Blood Red (M22SD/M22V)
    ESP LTD KH Quija Red Sparkle
    Friedman Be-OD Deluxe/AMT P-Drive, Boss RV-6 --> AMT Tube Cake --> 1x12" EVH Cab w/ Celestion Lynchback

Comment

Re: Upgrading a BC Gunslinger retro

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but I think I can help out with this topic. I bought a BC Rich retro gunslinger quite some time ago. Straight out of the box was a big disappointment. It was poorly setup and the finish on the body was a letdown. That aside, it looks awesome. The guitar came with a Duncan Designed pickup and a very crappy volume pot. The tone was awful to say the least. I shoved a TB-6 distortion in it with a massive letdown again ( not the pickups fault, just wrong for this guitar). The tone was too raspy and very trebly and just a wall of nasty sound. I pulled the TB-6 and swapped the ceramic magnet for an Alnico 5. I swapped the stock 500k volume for a 250k linear push/pull and coil tapped the pickup. Now I like what I hear. The pickup is now essential a JB and the 250k pot tamed the highs a bit more giving me a tone I can live with. My experience with this guitar would lead me to push people away from fitting a distortion pickup but go for something a little tamer that can give you a bit more balance. Remember this guitar is Basswood with a maple neck and fingerboard, it's going to be shrill.
      Last edited by Ibanez; 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM.
      Ibanez RG570fm 1991 Red flame maple
      Ibanez RG120 1987 White
      Ibanez RG120 1987 Red
      Ibanez RG340 1988 Blue with EMG's
      Ibanez RG340 1988 Red standard
      Ibanez RG341MH 2002 black Korean
      BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Green SD TB-6 with AlNiCo 5 Magnet.
      Samick Valley Art Tele 1991?

Comment

Working...
      X