No announcement yet.

Followed Stewmac diagram... no sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Followed Stewmac diagram... no sound...

Do any of the terminals on the Tone pots get bent back?

Comment

After staring at the pic and the pic of the golden age harness on the stewmac website, mine was on the template the exact opposite of the picture. Wondering if I desolder, turn it all around, and hook it all back up, if that will fix any of my problems... at least a starting spot...

Would I have fried anything by hooking it all up wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Jermo3178 View Post
        Do any of the terminals on the Tone pots get bent back?
        No. And you didn't fry anything except brain cells.
        nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Wow, that's crazy.. if none of those terminals get bent back, why in the world would they sell them that way?

Comment

You can bend back a terminal and ground it that way, or you can connect the cap to the back of the pot to achieve ground. They do the same thing, just different ways of going about it.

To tell you the truth, that stewmac diagram is about the most confusing version I've seen.

Comment

You're telling me... I desoldered everything, spun it around... I do have sound now, but the tones don't work. Gonna get all the solder off and hit it again. Ugh... anybody got a easier diagram? One that a noob can't get right lol

Comment

From now on you should use the Seymour Duncan diagrams, they are great and there is a detailed picture of every combination you can think of.
                LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
                Thinline W/GFS Classic II
                Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
                LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                Blackstar HT5-H.
                Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

In the SD diagram it shows 47 caps... do I need to get some of those or use the 22s I have?

Comment

usually it's 22's for humbuckers but you can use a 47 if you want, it will change the highs though.
                    LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
                    Thinline W/GFS Classic II
                    Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
                    LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                    Blackstar HT5-H.
                    Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

I apologize for the sporadic beginning of this tread... The frustration, need to be in bed about 3 hours before I figured out something was wrong, and let's not forget to take into account my NOOB (forum and guitar modding) status kicked in.... and it speaks volumes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49674[/ATTACH]
                      Here is a pic of the diagram

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49675[/ATTACH]
                      Here's what I have, minus the 3way switch
                      It's wrong, but you could unsolder everything very carefully and start over. Just be careful when your unsoldering the caps. Just hold the wire to the cap with some needlenose as a heat sync. I like to make a template of the configuration on a piece of cardboard and work outside of the electronics cavity. It's a lot less stressful and safer. Just remove all the pots and trace the hole placement through the back of the guitar onto cardboard. I always use the USPS box my stuff came in. Poke holes in the cardboard and stick the shafts of the pots through. Now you can work on the pots without chasing them all over your work area with your iron.
                      Here are 2 wiring diagrams
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring50s.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5773668Click image for larger version

Name:	wiringModern.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5773669
                      The braided wire in the pic is the ground. You just solder the ground wires on your pickups to the back of the pot and you'll be good.
                      And I might be crazy, but I don't see wires from the output jack in the photo either.

Comment

Yeah, I pulled the output jack out to make the pic..

Comment

I just want to say thanks to all you guys for all the help... I appreciate it big time. Hopefully I'll get this right soon. Am glad I decided to do this guitar first lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFanatic View Post
                            It's wrong, but you could unsolder everything very carefully and start over. Just be careful when your unsoldering the caps. Just hold the wire to the cap with some needlenose as a heat sync. I like to make a template of the configuration on a piece of cardboard and work outside of the electronics cavity. It's a lot less stressful and safer. Just remove all the pots and trace the hole placement through the back of the guitar onto cardboard. I always use the USPS box my stuff came in. Poke holes in the cardboard and stick the shafts of the pots through. Now you can work on the pots without chasing them all over your work area with your iron.
                            Here are 2 wiring diagrams
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]49747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49748[/ATTACH]
                            The braided wire in the pic is the ground. You just solder the ground wires on your pickups to the back of the pot and you'll be good.
                            And I might be crazy, but I don't see wires from the output jack in the photo either.
                            Quick question before I get started again.. would this diagram be better or the SD diagram?

Comment

Quick question before I get started again.. would this diagram be better or the SD diagram?
                              I think this is even easier, but you could reference both. This one has the tone caps from volume pot to tone pot, the SD has them on the pot themselves. I'm not sure there is a difference. I've used this and I like it.

Comment

I apologize for the sporadic beginning of this tread... The frustration, need to be in bed about 3 hours before I figured out something was wrong, and let's not forget to take into account my NOOB (forum and guitar modding) status kicked in.... and it speaks volumes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49674[/ATTACH]
                                Here is a pic of the diagram

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49675[/ATTACH]
                                Here's what I have, minus the 3way switch
                                Connect the ground of jag output or 3 way toggle to the ground of pickups or pot housing!! - there is no circuit connections!!!!!!
                                dont connect the input (middle of 3 way toggle) with housing of pots!!! - this will make no sound!!!
                                Last edited by KnifeR; 01-06-2014, 03:07 AM.
                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Best Regards:
                                Peter (KnifeR)

RazemRock - let's create the community for Guitar Geeks

Facebook Funpage
                                YouTube
                                Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X