Those Classic "Wide Range" Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Classic "Wide Range" Humbuckers

Hey, peeps! I'm having trouble finding info about the hummers found in '72 Tele Delux, Custom, and Thinline guitars (not to mention those sexy Starcasters ). What exactly are they all about? I've once heard them called "low-output" humbuckers. Is this accurate? What kind of magnet setup do they have? Are they PAF cops-offs? Are they a distinct design? When did they first appear? How difficult might it be to make one for myself in vintage style? ET CETERA!!!

Anyone who has experience with these things and wants to talk to me about them is automatically the coolest person in the world for a day I've always thought that these pickups are the coolest sounding pickups I've ever heard, but I really don't know anything about them!

Thankies!

Celticafro, now with 21 years!
    "No Wockin' Furries"

Maton EBG808L; G&L ASAT Special

Mesa/Boogie MkIIb; (no cab yet)

Boss TR3; Boss DD6; BYOC MXR Dist+

Re: Those Classic "Wide Range" Humbuckers

Originally posted by celticafro
    Hey, peeps! I'm having trouble finding info about the hummers found in '72 Tele Delux, Custom, and Thinline guitars (not to mention those sexy Starcasters ). What exactly are they all about? I've once heard them called "low-output" humbuckers. Is this accurate? What kind of magnet setup do they have? Are they PAF cops-offs? Are they a distinct design? When did they first appear? How difficult might it be to make one for myself in vintage style? ET CETERA!!!

Anyone who has experience with these things and wants to talk to me about them is automatically the coolest person in the world for a day I've always thought that these pickups are the coolest sounding pickups I've ever heard, but I really don't know anything about them!

Thankies!

Celticafro, now with 21 years!

They were designed by Seth Lover for CBS Fender in the very late 1969 and first seen in, I belive 72. They sound like a cross between fender single coils and a bucker...not near as fat sounding as a Gibson Bucker. The output is not very high at all...thats about all I really know...except That I love Starcasters too!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

From what I understand the original splitHums from the 70's that came in
      the thinline's and starcaster's sounded pretty good?? I see them going
      for a premiun on ebay $150 and up !! I have a reissue in my tele.... All I
      can say is it looks better than it sounds When I have the cash?
      I think I'm gonna send it to the Duncan custom shop ,And let them have
      at it.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I think they sound great, the reissues I mean.
        I was considering using them for a Baritone I'm going to build, but decided in the APII
        Satanists In Love-
        Dance With The Kings
        of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
        Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
        Fingers on the Pulse of America,
        and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
        http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Oh yes, I'm definitely a fan of the reissues, having never ever heard an original. But I can only assume that they're Alnico V magnets... that's one thing I'm trying to figure out.

Also trying to figure out how they're wired and wound. I know how they SOUND. Anyone have any info on the tech-side of those pups?
          "No Wockin' Furries"

Comment

IIRC, the poles weren't alnico but cunife, because they could be machined with threads & slots.

Comment

Copper/Nickle/Iron! Really!? Man, I didn't expect that one. Thanks for that!

Now, last, does anyone know if they're just two single-coils like the PAF style, or are they something different?
              "No Wockin' Furries"

Comment

Working...
              X