banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stray wire from my new Malmsteen bridge pickup - cause for concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray wire from my new Malmsteen bridge pickup - cause for concern?

Decided to fit a five-way to my new Malmsteen Strat yesterday and noticed this stray wire from the rear pickup. It was 'wound in' so to speak. Rather than have it hanging around I cut it back close to the bobbin. Pickup seems to work OK but I am a bit concerned. Should I be? Should I request a replacement and if so, would that be through SD or Fender do you think? Feel like this is going to be a big hassle if I do whereby I'll have to put the guitar 'off the road' for a few months whilst I send back the pickup and wait for something to happen.

Re: Stray wire from my new Malmsteen bridge pickup - cause for concern?

welcome to the forum!

if the pup works fine then i wouldnt be too concerned. do you have a multimeter?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      welcome to the forum!

if the pup works fine then i wouldnt be too concerned. do you have a multimeter?
      Hi and thanks for the reply and welcome.

Yes. I do have a multimeter but have only ever used it to check continuity. Would appreciate any advice on how I can check the pickup.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Molly View Post
        Hi and thanks for the reply and welcome.

Yes. I do have a multimeter but have only ever used it to check continuity. Would appreciate any advice on how I can check the pickup.

Thanks.
        Set to "20k ohms" setting, measure pickup between hot and ground. Youre good if ohms number matches internet spec sheet data +/- 0.2-0.3k or so

Manufacturers dont wire most pickups all that precisely

Then again, if wire got clipped midcoil, you would be expecting to lose signal entirely anyway, or lose one coil in a humbucker/stack, so what youre really checking for is basically for "did they mess up anything else, or just leave stray trash scraps inside only"
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          Set to "20k ohms" setting, measure pickup between hot and ground. Youre good if ohms number matches internet spec sheet data +/- 0.2-0.3k or so

Manufacturers dont wire most pickups all that precisely

Then again, if wire got clipped midcoil, you would be expecting to lose signal entirely anyway, or lose one coil in a humbucker/stack, so what youre really checking for is basically for "did they mess up anything else, or just leave stray trash scraps inside only"
          Thanks for that. I'll check.

Much appreciated.

Comment

If the pickup works and does not hum like a single coil, then it was likely a wire fragment that simply got trapped under the tape.

Comment

meanwhile, back at SDHQ; someone is being told to clean their workbench

Comment

Working...
              X