banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring Confusion (50s Vintage Coil Split)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring Confusion (50s Vintage Coil Split)

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Cap value may be topic for another thread, but you asked it here so I'll give my two cents worth here.

.047uf is a commonly used cap, but it drastically reduces the treble and mids as the tone pot is rolled off giving a rather dull, lifeless, "speaker-under-a-wet-blanket" kind of tone. The smaller the value of the cap the less affect it has on the mids and lower highs. A .010uf cap only affects the very high frequencies. I never use .047uf caps myself, usually opting for .022uf or .015uf (even .033uf is too dark sounding for me).

Caps are not very expensive and very easy to change so I would suggest starting with a .022uf and see how you like it. If you want more effect from the tone control, put in a .033uf or .047uf and see how that sounds to you. If the .022uf cap removes too much of the mids, try a .015uf or .010uf cap.

It's really trial and error until you become familiar with how cap values affect your tone and you find out just what you want your guitar's tone pot to do.
    Cheers Guitar Doc, I have posted a new thread but I appreciate the advice. I dont want to make it too dark and with only one volume and one tone and I dont want to kill the pups designed tone. .047 is quoted on the diagram that came with the pups but like you say, could prove too dark, may even start with the .015 and work up

Comment

It's good to try several just to see for yourself what effect each has on tone.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Will do, I want to be able to roll the tone off and not worry about it sounding too muffled or unusable.

Thanks again everyone for their input!

Comment

Working...
        X