banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distortion Neck or Screamin Demon in neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Neck or Screamin Demon in neck?

I have used a Screamin Demon in the neck of my SG, and it sounded pretty good. Fairly even response. Not as sweet as Seth Lovers, obviously. I was wondering what a Distortion Neck model might sound like. From what I have read it will be kind of full/fat with great harmonics but not overly bright. Kinda like a more powerful Demon in the neck position, I wonder?

Thanks

Re: Distortion Neck or Screamin Demon in neck?

haven't played either in an SG, but comparing the two in my LP i found the DDn to have far more output, and generally sound thicker and more saturated, but didn't have the demon's dynamics and cut.
    you could say it's like comparing a good hobby knife to a dirty big meat cleaver.
    that said, i've not recorded anything with the DDn, and haven't spent as much time with it, or tried it in any other guitars (in the neck slot).

could be a different story in an SG; i can see how a DDn could be well suited in some ways, and kind-of-a-bad-idea in others. you'd want a bridge pickup with a lot of output (ie invader/500T/dimarzio) or the neck will probably seem too loud.

however... i can see how a demon in the neck and a DDn in the bridge could be an excellent match, and am surprised that i hadn't thought of that before.
    that will probably happen this weekend.
    thanks for the idea!

Comment

Re: Distortion Neck or Screamin Demon in neck?

I put a Distortion Neck in the bridge position of another guitar, and I liked it quite a bit. Rude brightish mids when turned up. Pretty nice cleans with the volume rolled back. Not surprisingly it sounded kinda similar to the Distortion Bridge but less saturated and not quite so many bristling higs. I need to get another one!

Comment

Working...
      X