From active to passive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From active to passive.

I am swiching my Active EMG to SD Jazz/JB so I want to know what I need all in all.

pickups
    3 way switch
    new volume pot (I am only using a volume pot I do not use tone)

what else do I need to get?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Basses: Ibanez SR605
    Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Re: From active to passive.

and a new output jack... anything else? and do I need a new 3 way switch?
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
    Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

You will need to pull a post anchor completely out and drill a hole into the post hole, from the control cavity for a proper ground wire. Are you working on an Epi with a stoptail bridge?
      "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

You don't need a new output jack or three way switch, the ones you have will work.

Comment

Jackson Floyd Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
            You don't need a new output jack or three way switch, the ones you have will work.
            Ditto. I often use a stereo output jack on mono guitars. It provides a little more solid ground connection. Just wire sleeve and ring terminals together.

Comment

Originally posted by epi View Post
              Jackson Floyd Rose
              Good. No need to pull a post you can just solder the ground wire to the Floyd spring claw.

Comment

Why do you think there is no wire to ground the bridge?

In any case you can shield a passive setup as well as an active one. So if the guitar was fine noise-wise with the actives without a bridge ground (which is stupid in the first place) it can be fine with passives.

Of course it would have been awesomst useful to tell us what kind of axe this is.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  Why do you think there is no wire to ground the bridge?

In any case you can shield a passive setup as well as an active one. So if the guitar was fine noise-wise with the actives without a bridge ground (which is stupid in the first place) it can be fine with passives.

Of course it would have been awesomst useful to tell us what kind of axe this is.
                  I thought that it was needed. I didn't know that it wasn't. I converted an active pickup guitar to passive and there was no ground wire. I even took it to a very reputable luthier to pull the post so I could add the ground wire and he never mentioned that it wasn't needed and he wasn't in it for the money, because he hardly charged me anything. I have read multiple threads right here in the pickup room where people were converting actives to passives and they said the same thing about adding a ground. I guess I've been misinformed.

Comment

You need the bridge wire unless there is proper shielding. But there is nothing special about active pickups noise-wise except they usually come with well-shielded wires.

Comment

Jackson DKMG

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
                        I thought that it was needed. I didn't know that it wasn't. I converted an active pickup guitar to passive and there was no ground wire. I even took it to a very reputable luthier to pull the post so I could add the ground wire and he never mentioned that it wasn't needed and he wasn't in it for the money, because he hardly charged me anything. I have read multiple threads right here in the pickup room where people were converting actives to passives and they said the same thing about adding a ground. I guess I've been misinformed.
                        Most people ground the bridge, but uOpt has come to the conclusion it is absolutely unnecessary, and even dangerous in some cases. "Dangerous" being to main reason not to ground the strings, because you are connecting the metal a guitar player touches most into the circuit, and if there are wiring problems (especially improper grounds) the "grounded" strings become a safety hazard.

Admittedly, I still ground the bridge, but it is a good idea to check every outlet to make sure they are a) Working properly (a connected +, -, and independent ground) and b) the phase between every outlet is the same. Then you are good-to-go. Lighting storms may be problematic in some cases though. Not grounding the bridge and inherently the strings prevents the most-touched metal object from being introduced into the circuit, decreasing the chance of electrocution. And yes, guitarists have died from electrocution playing guitar. A few notable ones actually.

Leslie Harvey
                        John Rostill
                        Keith Relf
                        Last edited by Myaccount876; 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Well the grouned strings are only unnecessary if you have good enough shielding inside. Getting there proves to be challenging for many. In such cases I prefer not to be blamed for the resulting hum

Also important to point out that the strings are not "grounded" in any but the American sense of the word. They are connected to mass and hence are part of the shielding. However, the mass of the guitar and the amp are connected to each other, always, but they are not necessarily connected to the actual earth, the ground in the house. Easy to see for youself, just use a 2-prong plug. No connection to house ground at all. The strings connected to mass still make you act like a shield, the hum still gets better when you touch the strings. The shielding effect requires no connection with earth or house ground. It has nothing to do with either.
                          Last edited by uOpt; 01-04-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X