George Lynch's gear on "Too High To Fly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lynch's gear on "Too High To Fly"

What gear was Lynch using on this song? His tone doesn't sound much like earlier Dokken at all. Had he switched from the Distortion to the Screamin Demon?

Re: George Lynch's gear on "Too High To Fly"

By that time, yeah. He was using the Demon. For amps I would imagine the standard fair, a mix of Marshall, Soldano and maybe even Randall.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I wondered if he was using Randall by that time. I love the tone on that song, more mid growl and less gritty highs.

Comment

Not sure how much this helps for that tune but here is a picture I took of George Lynch's pedal board at B. B. Kings in New York about a year and a half ago.

Comment

Might be a question for the Lynch forum or the lynch site.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, folks, for all the good info

Comment

Around this time, George was using the Bogner Ecstasy or his early 2 channel Dual Rectifiers (Pre-500).

He used to have the gear he used broken down by album on his old website. Unfortunately, I can't find any links to the old info.
              Last edited by Steve R.; 01-07-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Found it... It was a number of amps....

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************

When George rejoined Dokken in the fall of 1994, he found himself having to record guitar parts previously tracked by several other guitarists. The completed body of work was released in Japan on JVC simply titled, "Dokken." A re-mix of the album in early 1995 added new songs co-written by George and was released as "Dysfunctional" on Columbia Records worldwide.

George had an arduous task ahead of him as he re-tracked work previously done by other guitarists. To bring his signature tone to this record, George relied on several different amplifiers and very few effects to accomplish the work. Recording at 710 Studios in Redondo Beach, the amplifiers hauled in to resurrect these tracks were both old and new. After having experience on "Sacred Groove" with the prototype of a Bogner, George was fortunate again to have the final design of the Ecstacy head. Along with this amp were a Peavey Classic 50, a modified '72 Marshall 50-watt plexi,. Also on this ride were two Fender amps: a Tone Master, and a Vibro King.

As we have seen from the succession of previous Lynch recordings, the amount of effects was becoming more and more minimal. "Dysfunctional" has George at his rawest on tape at that time. An overdrive, fuzz or distortion pedal was used very little if at all.

It was during this time that Fulltone effects presented George with a new line of effects designed to replicate effects used by Jimi Hendrix. Among these are effects that George uses today: DejaVibe, "69" Pedal, and Octafuzz. They were designed to be hardwired versions of the Univibe, FuzzFace and Octavia. Also present in the studio in George's now legendary toy box was a Boss DS-1 Distortion, Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer, a Jordan Bosstone and the Sustainiac.
                Last edited by Steve R.; 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff Steve, Thanks. I am also a fan of George's playing
                  Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                  If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Two points here:

#1 let's all take a minute and acknowledge Furious George's tone

#2 look at the CRAP he is playing through

It's all about how to set the knobs boys and girls....

boo-teek shmoo-teek
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X