Sterling AX40 replacement pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling AX40 replacement pickups?

Hi everyone, yesterday at Guitar Center I found an amazing "clearance" deal on a Music Man Sterling AX40 (only ~$300 new, I guess it was last year's model) and picked one up. A great low-cost guitar, and the stock pickups are pretty good, but I'm a big fan of SD pups and am thinking about replacing them.

Does anyone have experience with what pickups sound good in this guitar (or, I suppose, the American Made Axis counterpart...)? I want something relatively high-output that can span classic rock, hard rock, and maybe even metal, stuff like Zeppelin to GNR and harder. perhaps a Custom 5 or a Custom Custom for the bridge (I don't like ceramic pups, so I don't think the Custom would work), and a '59 or Pearly Gates for the neck? I like the PAF voicing in general, but am open to other suggestions.

IThe body is basswood, and the neck and fretboard are both maple.

Or is it just better to switch to other pickups in the more expensive iterations of this guitar, like the Dimarzios that are in the MM Axis models, or the EVH Wolfgangs?

Thanks!

Re: Sterling AX40 replacement pickups?

What don't you like about the pickups?
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

The stock pickups are okay, but they're a little too shrill for my taste. I want something that is a little smoother and "juicier" (if that makes any sense). I'm not sure if that sound is more a function of the guitar, however, or the pups themselves. I've had SD pickups (the 59/Custom hybrid) in my Les Paul, and that had a great character to it, but I know that could've had a lot to do with the guitar itself...

The Music Man Axis (the expensive American version of my guitar) has Dimarzio pickups, and it sounds better, but still has a bit of that shrillness to it, so I wonder if it's the wood of the guitar itself or maybe Dimarzios are little more aggressive in general...

Comment

Not a Duncan suggestion but I am loving the Bareknuckle Nailbomb (A5) in my Axis Super Sport. It's just complimenting the guitar perfectly; a little ballsier and bigger sounding than the stock pickup, clearer too.

Duncan wise, I would try an SH5 for a more modern high output tone. DiMarzios wise, I think the AT-1 would sound great in there. It's a little bright pickup, but it's very sweet sounding to the ears as it's very rich harmonically. It may not make much sense to explain but you'll know when you hear it.

Comment

If you want to get as close to the US Axis, then you want the AT-1 and Air Norton. If you just want a great set if rock pickups... Custom and 59n.
          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I had a Custom (SH-5) in my LP a while back, and I wasn't a big fan of the ceramic magnet. I did like the Custom "flavor" though, so I'm thinking about a Custom 5 or a Custom Custom. Would one of those work better in the guitar? (Perhaps the Custom Custom since it's a naturally bright guitar?).

Comment

Working...
            X